Help required by member Please reply to chris@nbtv.org

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Help required by member Please reply to chris@nbtv.org

Postby acl » Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:42 am

I'm writing in regard to the "Hot News" announcement of a possible "low cost" scan converter". The text reads:

Low cost Scan converter
Darryl Hock can produce a low cost video standard converter for NBTV 32 line 12.5 frame/second vertical scanning standard. He estimates this would cost in the region of about $200-$220. If there is sufficient interest this project may go ahead. Anybody interested should contact him by email via the webmaster

I would be interested in such a beast, if it supported NTSC video to NBTV conversion. I can be contacted at:

H.P. "Pete" Friedrichs, AC7ZL
acl
Anyone have a spare straightjacket?

Postby DrZarkov » Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:21 am

Wouldn't it be cheaper to use a second hand computer with a tv-card? I don't understand what is the advantage of such a converter.
DrZarkov
I think I've had a cranial implosion.

Postby Dave Moll » Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:39 am

Wouldn't you then need to develop software to perform the conversion?

If there is software already in existence which can convert live video to NBTV, I would be interested in it also. My understanding is that Gary Millard's software starts from an AVI file - thus, doesn't need to work in real time.
Dave Moll
Anyone have a spare straightjacket?

Postby DrZarkov » Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:54 am

Indeed, the software is not real-time. I think a software-solution would be much easier and cheaper, but of course, this is one thing a hardware-converter is currently better in, and there must be someone who is able and willing to write such a software.

But how much is a self-made camera basing on a Nipkow-disc? I think not much more expensive than a monitor, which is still much less than 200 $?
DrZarkov
I think I've had a cranial implosion.

Return to Mechanical NBTV