Simple Display Driver

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Postby Andrew Davie » Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:44 am

Ralph wrote:Ease up guys! The use of a transformer was clearly presented as a temporary fix until a proper solution could be incorporated. If one could go out and purchase a transformer, it would obviously be an opportunity to purchase the far-less expensive components to implement a proper inverter.

Ralph

Suitable for "real use" or not, I still found it very interesting to read that a transformer could be used for such a purpose. Don't worry about the purists, they're just being elitist :wink:
Andrew Davie
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Audio transformers.

Postby Steve Anderson » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:44 pm

Ralph wrote:Ease up guys! The use of a transformer was clearly presented as a temporary fix.

Ralph, don't worry, I don't think anyone was bearing down on you. I (and perhaps Klaas) found your suggestion of using a transformer so obvious and simple. Nay almost inspired.

The advantages are that it's a single component and requires no power, the downside is cost and weight/size (if that's a concern to you).

Klaas and I were simply exploring the idea and whether it might actually be a permanent 'fix'. Imagine the bunch of us sat in a bar...that sort of thing, some brainstorming.

So as I said before, it's a very valid and useful suggestion, even if it's still only considered a temporary fix.

Steve A.
Steve Anderson
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby gary » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:55 pm

I used a step-up transformer back in the days before LEDs became readily available to up the signal to a level to fire a Neon lamp. Lack of low frequency wasn't much of a problem because my camera and monitor were mechanically coupled thus requiring no sync.
gary

Previous

Return to Mechanical NBTV