The worst TV set in the world ever

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

The worst TV set in the world ever

Postby kareno » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:16 pm

Hi all,

Just thought I'd post this link. It got a mention in a recent Elektor (yeah, I do occasionally buy them :)

http://www.elektor.com/magazines/2011/m ... 7101.lynkx
kareno

Postby dominicbeesley » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:42 pm

Nah, I've made worse!

D
dominicbeesley
Anyone have a spare straightjacket?

Postby M3DVQ » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:10 pm

yeah well my televisor blew up at Loughborough before displaying a single stable picture :p
M3DVQ
Just nod and pretend you understand me

Postby kareno » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:37 am

Maybe we should turn this thread into a 'worst ever personal TV disaster' thread...?

Mine is undoubtedly the time my disk fell off its hub and proceeded to bounce around the room like Taz. The grooves in the plaster are still there.
kareno

Postby gary » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:36 am

kareno wrote:Maybe we should turn this thread into a 'worst ever personal TV disaster' thread...?

There are so many... but the most recent was when I ran a projection lens into my bead disk ( http://www.taswegian.com/NBTV/forum/dow ... hp?id=2756 ) whilst experimenting. The beads, being "force fit" mounted, scattered every where throughout my work shop, lodging in every possible nook and cranny - surprisingly, using a 500 watt work light, it only took about 4 hours to find them - all except one. The last one forced me to source another batch of beads locally at at least 10 times the price of the previous set.

I eventually found the missing bead weeks later...

http://www.taswegian.com/NBTV/forum/dow ... hp?id=2757

Damn spiders!

(I won't mention trying to clean paint off one of the acrylic beads with Tea Tree oil :oops:)

BTW how do you read the article referred to in the first post? I have registered, confirmed, have the 10 free credits, but when I try to download the pdf it sends me back to a page saying I have to click on the confirmation link - something I have done about 10 times now... :x

Edit: it was just a delay of several days for some reason...
Last edited by gary on Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gary

Postby DrZarkov » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:51 pm

The worst (real working) TV I've ever made was this one: http://www.zarkovision.de/NBTVfig2.gif

The advantage was of course that it costs less than 5 EUR to make it, the disadvantages are dark picture, no syncronisation and worst: If the the picture becomes too bright, the LED will die immediately, a resistor didn't help, the transistor will die instead, or the picture will become too dark if you take another resistor. The improvement with the Mosfet (design by Klaas) works much better.
DrZarkov
I think I've had a cranial implosion.

Postby kareno » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:09 am

I'm as confused as you are, Gary. It is clearly labeled 'Free download' yet when you click it you get a login screen :?
kareno

Re: The worst TV set in the world ever

Postby McGee2021 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:57 am

This may be an old topic, but it relates to something that happened to my 3d printed mirror drum. I forgot to bolt it to the motor, and it fell of when i was testing the fastest speed it would go to with no damage. it hit a book that was sitting on the table and went flying for about 6 meters! it hit the drywall and made a hole ive been trying to fix. i had to give up that mirror drum and print another one, unfortunately. Lesson Learned!
Fun times, ain't it?
McGee2021

Postby gary » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:02 am

McGee2021 wrote:This may be an old topic, but it relates to something that happened to my 3d printed mirror drum. I forgot to bolt it to the motor, and it fell of when i was testing the fastest speed it would go to with no damage. it hit a book that was sitting on the table and went flying for about 6 meters! it hit the drywall and made a hole ive been trying to fix. i had to give up that mirror drum and print another one, unfortunately. Lesson Learned!

Any test of a mechanical TV you can walk away from, is a good test! ;-)
gary

Postby McGee2021 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:08 am

gary wrote:
McGee2021 wrote:This may be an old topic, but it relates to something that happened to my 3d printed mirror drum. I forgot to bolt it to the motor, and it fell of when i was testing the fastest speed it would go to with no damage. it hit a book that was sitting on the table and went flying for about 6 meters! it hit the drywall and made a hole ive been trying to fix. i had to give up that mirror drum and print another one, unfortunately. Lesson Learned!

Any test of a mechanical TV you can walk away from, is a good test! ;-)

Quick reply, Gary! And great words of wisdom!
Fun times, ain't it?
McGee2021

Postby Steve Anderson » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:15 pm

gary wrote:Any test of a mechanical TV you can walk away from, is a good test! ;-)

As someone who pilots (small) aircraft, that has been adapted to, "Any landing you can walk away from is a successful landing,"

I've had several 'arrivals' rather than landings over the years...

Steve A.
Steve Anderson
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby gary » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:37 pm

Steve Anderson wrote:
gary wrote:Any test of a mechanical TV you can walk away from, is a good test! ;-)

As someone who pilots (small) aircraft, that has been adapted to, "Any landing you can walk away from is a successful landing,"

I've had several 'arrivals' rather than landings over the years...

Steve A.

You got me Steve - that is where I nicked it from. :-)
gary

Postby Steve Anderson » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:38 pm

On a more serious note, be careful with large electrolytic caps. Even if they're new make sure that the vent and general assembly is facing away from you. When these things fail they can do it in a spectacular fashion. I've witnessed a number of explosions which I hope no-one ever has to repeat. It usually happens when they are brand-new or very old.

Be wary of any over the size of an old 35mm film container...most here will remember those...

Forewarned is forearmed.

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Postby McGee2021 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:03 pm

Steve Anderson wrote:On a more serious note, be careful with large electrolytic caps. Even if they're new make sure that the vent and general assembly is facing away from you. When these things fail they can do it in a spectacular fashion. I've witnessed a number of explosions which I hope no-one ever has to repeat. It usually happens when they are brand-new or very old.

Be wary of any over the size of an old 35mm film container...most here will remember those...

Forewarned is forearmed.

Steve A.

If so, i hope this man doesnt get hurt!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3x_kYq3mHM
Fun times, ain't it?
McGee2021

Postby Steve Anderson » Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:57 pm

How many Farads did he say?

I must do some Googling on these, I never knew they existed!

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Return to Mechanical NBTV