Miniture Televisor Kit Gets Period Case (Easter Updates)

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Miniture Televisor Kit Gets Period Case (Easter Updates)

Postby Phil Hunter » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:10 am

I managed a few modifications during the Easter break, the case is now more or less as I want it - the front facia panel will be replaced with something more in keeping with the rest of the case ( veneered with traditional speaker cut outs ).
The focus control is the serrated knob, this allows me to go from a tiny but well defined image to a large less defined image - unfortunately at the moment this is a crude in and out rod arrangement - this will be replaced by a screw mechanism.
I will now concentrate on improve the quality of picture from the televisor ( any comments / tips would be welcome ) and to place the motor and brightness controlls remote from the unit onto the facia.
The Televisor unit is excellent and has given me the chance to re create
something that had been an enigma to me.
Thank you for all your support for my earlier post - all comments are apreciated.
Attachments
cab1.jpg
cab1.jpg (80.82 KiB) Viewed 8125 times
cab2.jpg
cab2.jpg (102.88 KiB) Viewed 8125 times
cab3.jpg
cab3.jpg (103.21 KiB) Viewed 8125 times
cab4.jpg
cab4.jpg (58.43 KiB) Viewed 8125 times
cab5.jpg
cab5.jpg (63.71 KiB) Viewed 8125 times
cab6.jpg
cab6.jpg (77.55 KiB) Viewed 8125 times
Phil Hunter
Mad Scientist

Postby Viewmaster » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:52 am

I like the case Phil.
That case has inspired me to use a nice old 1920s loudspeaker cabinet which I have. I think an old historic system should be in an old cabinet
to help look the part.

I am puzzled as to the large round hole at the top of your cabinet.
Viewing is normally done in the centre on the right hand side as you know.
Is that top hole for a horizontal image I wonder?
Albert.
Viewmaster
Frankenstein was my uncle.

Postby moderator » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:05 am

Very nice, and thanks for the update.

I occasionally take the liberty of reducing image sizes, as I have done here. Just a general housekeeping thing to keep the site space and download limits in check.
Site Admin

Postby Stephen » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:01 am

The MUTR televisor is small enough so that it fits high in the cabinet to the left of centre so that the display window is in the centre top of the front side. If you look closely you can see the right front leg of the MUTV televisor through the display window. It appears that Phil has a large magnifying glass within the display window in front of the MUTV televisor to further magnify the image. Is that right, Phil?
Stephen
Stephen
Anyone have a spare straightjacket?

Postby Phil Hunter » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:19 am

Stephen wrote:The MUTR televisor is small enough so that it fits high in the cabinet to the left of centre so that the display window is in the centre top of the front side. If you look closely you can see the right front leg of the MUTV televisor through the display window. It appears that Phil has a large magnifying glass within the display window in front of the MUTV televisor to further magnify the image. Is that right, Phil?

Yes that is correct, at first glance the set appears to be of the horizontal scan type, but this is because I managed to get the televisor kit into the extreme top left hand corner so that the viewing port was central - originally the televisor was central and the viewing port over to the right, but it seemed out of ballance with such a tall narrow cabinet.

The magnifying glass can be varied and the image is only let down by the course finish of the diffuser material.

Eventually I intend to mount a mirror drum in the case possibly projecting upwards and viewed via a mirror at 45 degrees mounted in the lid, I first tried this with the televisor kit but the disk was not rigid enough.
Phil Hunter
Mad Scientist

Return to Mechanical NBTV