A useful test device

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

A useful test device

Postby kareno » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:04 pm

To quickly test my latest monitor I programmed my PICxie box to output a test card pattern to an ultra bright LED.

The idea is you can hold it behind a new disk/drum to get an idea of what the final monitor will be capable of.

My PICxie box has a potentiometer connected to an analogue input and this is used to vary the frame rate so that I can just run the disk/drum motor off a fixed supply (i.e. no with sync)

I think such a tool could be built to look like a sonic screw driver! LED one end, frame rate knob the other. There could even be a multi-position switch on the side to select a test card!

A PIC can easily do this and could even do greyscales (or perhaps RGB).

Has anyone ever wished they could reach for something like that?
kareno

Postby Roland » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:33 am

I think its a great idea - and I was just wondering what to do with some spare PIC chips when I stumbled across this post :)

On a similar but simpler note I've been thinking about building a simple LED flasher just to provide a light to manually synchronise the disk with. I find I keep turning the room lights on and off when experimenting with my non synchronised monitors and this doesn't work well when they are fluorescent tubes!

:)

Roland
(been an awfully long time since I last posted here - but I'm slowly catching up on my reading :wink: )
Roland
Master Craftsman

Postby kareno » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:19 pm

The Orton labs have been busy! Not quite a sonic screwdriver though...

Roland, I'm sure I've seen your website on my travels. You made a monitor with a horizontally mounted nipkow...?
Attachments
NBTV pattern generator.jpg
Can't open locks but it can illuminate a nipkow disk
NBTV pattern generator.jpg (462.71 KiB) Viewed 6903 times
kareno

Postby Roland » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:11 am

Looks great - and I see you've built a fair bit of flexibility into it. I've yet to look at programing a PIC chip to output an NBTV video signal. I'v done one or 2 basic PIC circuits - but my first proper PIC project was going to be a disk synchronisation mechanism.

Yes - my website is the one with the horizontal disk monitor. Happened a bit by accident - but the format works suprisingly well even with an 8" hand punched card disk. I think the CD disk backing it makes it ridgid enough.

Since then I've been working (very slowly) on a very conventional vertical monitor based around a club 12" disk purchased a few years ago. It has manual speed control and Klaas Robers excellent single FET driver - though I'm using an IRF540 as thats all I could get locally. After a lot of fiddling with LTSpice I've managed to build my best amplifier/LED array yet - though currently not working as I think I've blown the IRF540. Tonight's job is to fit the spare.

BTW very impressed with your Kerplunk mirror screw. There is certainly more to life than Nipkow disks :)

Roland.
Roland
Master Craftsman

Postby Lowtone » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:50 am

It is a good idea, it could be nice too if it could also send the signal by wire :wink:

esit : you can add those too if you want :wink:
Attachments
32linechequerboard.PNG
32linechequerboard.PNG (1.47 KiB) Viewed 6867 times
30-Circle.jpg
30-Circle.jpg (4.6 KiB) Viewed 6867 times
24lignes6496.PNG
24lignes6496.PNG (1.94 KiB) Viewed 6867 times
chack1-6496.PNG
chack1-6496.PNG (1.97 KiB) Viewed 6867 times
chess64-96.PNG
chess64-96.PNG (1.95 KiB) Viewed 6867 times