Mechanical TV from old computer parts

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Mechanical TV from old computer parts

Postby DrZarkov » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:07 pm

The German computer magazin "c't" has a competition "mach flott den Schrott", a kind of scrapheap challenge using old computing parts.

Now somebody built a mechanical TV, using a laser pointer, mirrors and motors from old laser printers and disc drives:

http://www.heise.de/mach-flott/projekte ... 71182.html

The text is in German, but the pictures and the video are very interesting and speaking for themselves.
DrZarkov
I think I've had a cranial implosion.

Re: Mechanical TV from old computer parts

Postby Harry Dalek » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:32 am

DrZarkov wrote:The German computer magazin "c't" has a competition "mach flott den Schrott", a kind of scrapheap challenge using old computing parts.

Now somebody built a mechanical TV, using a laser pointer, mirrors and motors from old laser printers and disc drives:

http://www.heise.de/mach-flott/projekte ... 71182.html

The text is in German, but the pictures and the video are very interesting and speaking for themselves.

It looks good 625 line is it ...trying to make a polygon mirror which is hard which he has done for the large one ...i found just having a 2 sided mirror off by a bit you get double lines ...i think the wobble is due to the big one being a bit off in each mirror but hell thats a good job .
i would hope he neatens it up :wink:
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby alith45 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:08 pm

Hello...

I am looking for a mechanical engineer who makes tv from my old computer parts... because I have a lot of old computer parts..., and I want to use them...
So, please suggest me a someone...????
alith45
"Fester, enough of the light-bulbs!"

Postby Harry Dalek » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:28 pm

alith45 wrote:Hello...

I am looking for a mechanical engineer who makes tv from my old computer parts... because I have a lot of old computer parts..., and I want to use them...
So, please suggest me a someone...????

Amateur tinkerer more like it for me
Computer parts these days not really good the newer they are not much left for mechanical television only thing left or there ever was but now smaller is the hard drive motor and voice coil dvd drive motor .
old 5 inch floppy drives have a nice stepper motor if you have any of those .
There are examples on the forum older parts the better ,i have used various hard drives to spin cans drums disks, oscillated a mirror on the HD voice coil arm reflecting a laser off it ,lots of tinkering like that .
I like Hard drives as it was a way to connect drums disks to drive shaft my construction skills not great so little i have to do here the better .
The cd drive motor is good too and you can use a cd dvd motor and dvd cd connection ...the dvd can be made into a nipkow if a bit to small for a monitor ,motors from cd dvd plays are better than a computer as they tend to be dc motors .
You can use your computer as is for NBTV with software .
I would just read whats gone on over the years on the forum a lot of interesting projects and you will pick up whats what .
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Return to Mechanical NBTV