Club monitor in pine CD rack

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Postby kareno » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:24 am

In an effort to infiltrate the living room and eventually depose that ugly LCD thing that sits in the corner, I built this monitor based on the club disk, motor and PCBs.

The case was a CD rack purchased from a car boot for the lavish sum of £1. Being slightly more than 12" high internally, it is the perfect size and shape for the job!
Attachments
Club monitor.jpg
(259.32 KiB) Downloaded 269 times
kareno

Postby gary » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:38 pm

beautiful job! The CD rack (especially such a nice one) was a great find.

How did you do the escutcheon plates?
gary

Postby Panrock » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:47 pm

Wow! Well done.

Steve O
Panrock
Green padded cells are quite homely.

Postby johnrpm » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:09 pm

Recycling at its best, looks nice, and the pleasure of making stuff lasts longer than buying from a shop.
Random Precision
johnrpm
Mad Scientist

Postby kareno » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:29 pm

How did you do the escutcheon plates?

I have two ways of making labels and panels for my stuff.

For the small square Hammond boxes I use, the top has a recess into which I place a label made simply from a printed colour image that has a protective layer of clear adhesive film (the sort you can buy in small rolls from stationery shops). The label is stuck in place using closely spaced strips of double sided adhesive tape. It's simple but very effective. You must remember to let the print-out dry VERY thoroughly before entombing it!

The second method, and the method I used for this monitor is again, a printed image that I put throught the laminator to provide a protective cover. This is then cut out and fixed in place using double sided adhesive tape, but this time only around the edges and maybe a strip or two in the middle. In most cases there are pots and switches to hold it in place so you don't need much tape. I always use double sided tape aroound the edges though to discourage it from lifiting. Again, allow the image to dry thoroughly before you encase it forever!

Both methods produce an attractive result however, they can both deteriorate in damp conditions. Moisture can work its way in from the edges and separate the layers. So as long as you don't store them in a garage they'll last years.

I'm always on the lookout for nice wooden boxes to use as retro project cabs. This is mainly because my woodworking skills are deplorable. My only attempt at an attractive wooden case looked like a shipping crate.

I spotted a potential candidate at a recent car boot. Most attractive - lovely polished oak with a recess for what appears to have been a brass plaque. However, closer inspection convinced me it might once have contained somebody's ashes! No, thank you.

I have to admit - this monitor was inspired by Graham Hunt's Queen Ann 'computer monitor' as much as by the find of this ideal wooden case.
kareno

Congratulations

Postby holtzman » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:51 am

Very well-made object, as always, your work is so clean and aesthetic!
With such quality outlook, it really becomes an organic part of a living room. May ask what happens when you turn it on, I mean how much members of your houshold are involved...
holtzman
Just nod and pretend you understand me

Postby kareno » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:12 am

To be quite honest, Holtzman, it is only I who uses it at the moment. But the conversion of the non-believer(s) will happen in time. I will use my subtle powers of persuasion to bring then around to the NBTV way of thinking. That and a bit of sabotage.
kareno

Postby DrZarkov » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:31 am

So much about "NBTV has a low WAF". ;-)
It is very well done and looking good.
DrZarkov
I think I've had a cranial implosion.

Return to Mechanical NBTV