Drill Bit scan ?

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Drill Bit scan ?

Postby Harry Dalek » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:30 am

A little while back while using my drill in the shed i noticed the sun reflecting off the drill bit curved part while slow drilling making a raster dot between all the curved bits of the dill giving multiple scans straight across each part of the bit.

If you used this for 12.5 hz horizontal and reflected off a 4 or so sided mirror
same size but square....for screen size you'd have something a bit different .

My bit wasn't the largest type but i have kept this in mind and went looking to see what was out there .the size of the line is the size between the curved screw part largest i have seen shiny type for this was about 2 inches 30 dollars .

I suppose you could use 2 and have a drill tv :wink:
Attachments
mdrills1.jpg
mdrills1.jpg (23.3 KiB) Viewed 5330 times
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby DrZarkov » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:09 am

The idea is really very, very good! I have to go to next DIY shop and look what is available there.
DrZarkov
I think I've had a cranial implosion.

Postby kareno » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:45 am

I have given thought to a strip of mirror-like material that is given nearly a complete turn the idea being that, as it rotates, a single reflection of a light source will move along its length thereby performing a line scan. The bottom of the groove in a drill bit will behave in much the same way.

The problems: firstly, for line scan it must spin at 24000 rpm! Also there is a parallax issue. The point on the mirror where the light source is reflected may appear to be at different places to each eye. This leads to the brain being presented with images it can't fuse.

I imagined a row of 32 such twisted mirrors. Quite how I would do frame scan I don't know!

Perhaps there's a way to exploit this I haven't thought about? I'm sure someone will do something with a twisted mirror before very long.
kareno

Postby Harry Dalek » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:38 pm

HI karen DrZarkov

Yes it is interesting effect seeing the sun dot via my sky light moving across the drill bit ....
\.......\.......\ sort of like that. i should of done a video ..

Yes Karen not much good for line scan due to the speed ..funny enough some drills might come close i just brought a router and its speed i have to check but its pretty fast .
I think a hard drive could do that speed with a lite paper drum onit with a strip of thin reflecting tape...i think we would be ok
i was thinking of more the 12.5 nbtv horizontal 750rpm since it has to run at full speed.....

I do like the screw idea ever since playing around on the cat food tins !
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Return to Mechanical NBTV