The LaserVisor

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

The LaserVisor

Postby Lawnboy » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:18 pm

So I have been working on a new monitor project for a little while now, and its time I started a thread about it. It is a 32 line mirror drum monitor/projector that uses lasers as its light source.

When I started this project I had already made a mirror drum from the article by Dave Gentle in Vol. 34 No. 3, but that construction proved to be too flimsy and flexible so I am re-building it with thicker metal and a better bearing. So far I have machined down the VCR head and cut and mounted the metal disc (see picture). The new disc is 6.25” in diameter and .09” (2.25mm) thick. I am currently looking for some 1” x 1/2” plastic mirrors. There are plenty of small glass craft mirrors available, but I am concerned about safety when this thing gets up 750+ rpm. Looks like I will have to cut a plastic mirror by hand.

Although originally this was going to be a monochrome monitor with extra space left for future color components, I couldn't resist the urge to go color now. I have 3 laser diodes, 650nm red, 532nm green, and 445nm blue, which I will discuss in more detail later. The lasers will be combined by a beam splitting prism from an old TV broadcast camera, although other simpler combining methods are usually used.

More details coming soon...
Unfortunately this is a “when I have time” project, so don’t expect regular updates.
Attachments
IMG_5651 (Large).JPG
mirror drum disc
(52.75 KiB) Downloaded 225 times
IMG_5653 (Large).JPG
Prism and some laser components
(120.26 KiB) Downloaded 220 times
Lawnboy
Just nod and pretend you understand me

Re: The LaserVisor

Postby Harry Dalek » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:15 pm

Lawnboy wrote:So I have been working on a new monitor project for a little while now, and its time I started a thread about it. It is a 32 line mirror drum monitor/projector that uses lasers as its light source.

When I started this project I had already made a mirror drum from the article by Dave Gentle in Vol. 34 No. 3, but that construction proved to be too flimsy and flexible so I am re-building it with thicker metal and a better bearing. So far I have machined down the VCR head and cut and mounted the metal disc (see picture). The new disc is 6.25” in diameter and .09” (2.25mm) thick. I am currently looking for some 1” x 1/2” plastic mirrors. There are plenty of small glass craft mirrors available, but I am concerned about safety when this thing gets up 750+ rpm. Looks like I will have to cut a plastic mirror by hand.

Although originally this was going to be a monochrome monitor with extra space left for future color components, I couldn't resist the urge to go color now. I have 3 laser diodes, 650nm red, 532nm green, and 445nm blue, which I will discuss in more detail later. The lasers will be combined by a beam splitting prism from an old TV broadcast camera, although other simpler combining methods are usually used.

More details coming soon...
Unfortunately this is a “when I have time” project, so don’t expect regular updates.

Hi great project ...i use a large hot the small weaker type ! hot glue gun i used that with glass mirrors to metal and that held the mirrors well at that speed ...you can test by after trying to rip them off if you can't your safe !
I like the plastic mirrors i just found them of late but yes same here you have to cut them to make them.

Good luck with the project i will watch with interest..i have a long way to go before i could even think of colour ...

BTW you might find the blue laser might give you trouble trying to modulate if its any thing like the 405mn uv laser .

Also before you do the laser bit you can test your drum an easier way just modulate a luxeon point it at the mirror drum it will just see the tiny led surface as if you were using a light of another type with a lens...and view the image off the drums mirrors...adjust brightness up to a good viewing level.
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby Lawnboy » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:41 am

yeah Harry i forgot that you made a mirror drum. did you ever get that working? yes the tape that holds the glass mirrors on is very strong. i wonder about balancing issues, though. where did you find plastic mirrors?
Lawnboy
Just nod and pretend you understand me

Postby Harry Dalek » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:31 pm

Lawnboy wrote:yeah Harry i forgot that you made a mirror drum. did you ever get that working? yes the tape that holds the glass mirrors on is very strong. i wonder about balancing issues, though. where did you find plastic mirrors?

It sort of lead onto what it ended up as ,i started to try to make a normal mirror drum and it ended up as a staggered mirror drum which replaced the angles of the tilted mirror to a staggered line mirror drum like a stair case around a drum .

http://www.youtube.com/user/039dalekmoo ... qPE9JeCg14

heres it working with the nbtv test card ...its ruff but it was my first go a drum version .
I started also trying the laser but had better luck with a luxeon,i didn't mind viewing off the mirrors .

That drum used glass mirrors btw ...hot glued on as i said the test was i couldn't rip them off so i was happy to run them at speed.

Yes mine was harder as the mirrors put it off balance as its a screw of mirrors around the drum , but the motor was bolted to my wood case that helps ...

I used a car fan motor for that one its a nice flat motor ! so that helps too !

The plastic mirrors from a store here Spot light they are in shapes for kids to stick on walls ,easy to cut them out to shape.

Good luck with your drum i am sure you will have fun making it .
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Return to Mechanical NBTV