Idea: Conveyor belt mechanical TV

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Postby aussie_bloke » Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:19 pm

Just been going through my 1935 Television Today book series and have found another example of a belt television receiver which uses one motorized sprocket pulley roller and two smaller pulley rollers and a roll of film, here is the pic below:
Attachments
Belt Receiver.jpg
Belt Receiver.jpg (366.32 KiB) Viewed 13191 times
aussie_bloke
Just nod and pretend you understand me

Postby Panrock » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:12 pm

Hi aussie_bloke,

This looks a lovely elegant setup doesn't it? As others here have said though, the problem will be the sheer speed - and wear and tear - on the film. When in a 35mm camera or projector the film has moved by a complete frame, in NBTV it will have only moved by a line! Thirty (or sixty) times as much work for it to do! And then, because it is a loop, over and over again... :)

Steve
Panrock
Green padded cells are quite homely.

Postby Harry Dalek » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:51 pm

Hi troy

Heres another , i like that illustration of the film nipkow .

Least with all the problems with this must be one of the more interesting monitors to make you could get the parts from old 35mm cameras.
I think you could to get a roll of 35mm film 30 or 32 frames ,be the easiest way of doing this.
Attachments
Popular-Radio-5-280011.jpg
Popular-Radio-5-280011.jpg (51.24 KiB) Viewed 13173 times
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby aussie_bloke » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:39 pm

Thanks for that illustration Harry. I actually have a roll of blank 35mm film somewhere in my collection, should I get a hold of junked film sprockets I will use it. I am more so opting to use more tougher materials for this project such as that paper cardboard material used for wrapping around transformer bobbins. But will see how I go, will have to opt for what's available and what I can easily get a hold of. Anyhow found yet another illustration of a belt receiver from an early 60s UK book called "A Beginner's Guide To Television" which I recently won off Ebay, here it is:
Attachments
belt TV.jpg
belt TV.jpg (304.82 KiB) Viewed 13154 times
aussie_bloke
Just nod and pretend you understand me

Postby Harry Dalek » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:39 pm

aussie_bloke wrote:Thanks for that illustration Harry. I actually have a roll of blank 35mm film somewhere in my collection, should I get a hold of junked film sprockets I will use it. I am more so opting to use more tougher materials for this project such as that paper cardboard material used for wrapping around transformer bobbins. But will see how I go, will have to opt for what's available and what I can easily get a hold of. Anyhow found yet another illustration of a belt receiver from an early 60s UK book called "A Beginner's Guide To Television" which I recently won off Ebay, here it is:

Pity a lot of the different monitors made theres only a drawing left.
Be nice if there were at least a photo.
Lets know how you go ,i think you can get belt sander belts different lengths
This one just about ready made to make a belt nipkow ad some holes and some luxeons + you can do some sandings at the same time :wink:
Attachments
Screen 00000.jpg
Screen 00000.jpg (68.57 KiB) Viewed 13145 times
Last edited by Harry Dalek on Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek

Postby gary » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:44 pm

Well that's thinking "out side the box" Harry.

However I fear using sandpaper as the belt medium might result in "grainy" pictures...
gary

Postby Viewmaster » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:55 pm

Sync will be the problem....don't sink in the sand :shock:
“One small step for a man,"......because he has Arthritis.
Albert.
Viewmaster
Frankenstein was my uncle.

Postby gary » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:57 pm

Viewmaster wrote:Sync will be the problem....don't sink in the sand :shock:

and if it runs faster that 750 RPM it will be.... ?
gary

Postby Harry Dalek » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:54 pm

gary wrote:
Viewmaster wrote:Sync will be the problem....don't sink in the sand :shock:

and if it runs faster that 750 RPM it will be.... ?

Hi Gary Albert this hand cranked one might slow it down ?

Jokes aside the belt sander might be a easy option for at least rollers and such ready made ...
Attachments
Screen 00001.jpg
Screen 00001.jpg (80.16 KiB) Viewed 13135 times
Harry Dalek

Postby gary » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:58 pm

harry dalek wrote:Hi Gary Albert this hand cranked one might slow it down ?

Well I would prefer "slow sand" to "quick sand" any old day...

harry dalek wrote:Jokes aside the belt sander might be a easy option for at least rollers and such ready made ...

Easy, but from my own experience, as I own one, expensive...
gary

Postby Harry Dalek » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:16 pm

gary wrote:
Easy, but from my own experience, as I own one, expensive...

I mean second hand ...at our 2 reuse shops at the dump there are piles of old sanders ...i know Troy is near you i think he knows of the one in Kiama.
1 or 2 dollars for parts
Harry Dalek

Postby Harry Dalek » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:08 pm

I knew about this site for a while went looking for it again ,the fellow talks about using film nipkows for cameras which might be of interest.
http://www.myprius.co.za/nbtv_and_sstv.htm
Harry Dalek

Postby gary » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:16 am

harry dalek wrote:I mean second hand ...at our 2 reuse shops at the dump there are piles of old sanders ...i know Troy is near you i think he knows of the one in Kiama.
1 or 2 dollars for parts

I must check these things out - nothing cheap around my parts I can tell you!
gary

Postby Harry Dalek » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:33 pm

gary wrote:I must check these things out - nothing cheap around my parts I can tell you!

Ours must be good in that way .

If the belt sander is a problem perhaps looking into the belt its self ..we are talking pretty strong which it would have to be for both uses ,there are lots of different sizes and yes gary must get a fine grain one :wink:
The rollers i know old laser printers are good for these or some printers in general.

It will be interesting what troy comes up with .
Harry Dalek

Previous

Return to Mechanical NBTV