Baird model - newby seeking advice

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Baird model - newby seeking advice

Postby greensteam » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:11 am

Hi,
I am new to all this, although geekery is my thing. I found this model Baird Televisor in the rubbish pile at my university and rescued it.

The display case label told me that it was made for an exhibition called "jam, socks and television" which happened in 1990 at Strathclyde university and which was sponsored by BT.

National Museums of Scotland told me they didnt want it which is nice cos I get to play with it. They also thought it was just the receiver but looking at the various old magazines articles on the web I now think it is essentially a 'closed circuit' all-in-one model with transmitter and receiver sides linked. Clearly intended to give the public a vague idea of how it worked. The discs have tiny tiny holes in the necessary spiral pattern.

The motor works, sort of, but the model is, I think, missing some bits: there are various bracket looking bits between the two discs and also at the side.

I would be glad of any advice - does anyone know this particular model?
Any insights into what might be missing?
greensteam
"Fester, enough of the light-bulbs!"

Postby Harry Dalek » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:11 pm

Thats a nice find i always wondered what it must of been like in the 40s 50s when all the old televisiors were on the side of the road in england ...
Where you got it should work .
Looks like you found a remake but nice to have .
Looks to be a camera monitor are there electronics in the case under the motors ?
Missing the electronics by the quick look have you looked in the case ..no light for modulation ..if you are any good at electronics you could get it going.
The mechanical part is all there by the looks .
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Return to Mechanical NBTV