Waveforms from the 4046 PLL

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Waveforms from the 4046 PLL

Postby Rydepier » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:18 am

I thought perhaps these waveforms may be of interest. I have four sync signals each one squared off and 12 volts. The video line sync is extracted as normal and used to produce a 'frame' pulse using a monostable. The line sync pulses from the Nipkow disk are also used to produce a 'frame' pulse using a monostable.

I built the slightly modified club circuit for the PLL and motor driver, that includes a switch to allow the PLL to be disconnected from the motor driver. I find that the frame pulse is ideal to trigger the oscilloscope as it provides a steady uninterupted pulse.

In the traces below the blue trace is the Nipkow disk frame pulse and the red trace is the output from the PLL.

The first trace shows the PLL disconnected from the motor, but spinning slow.

The second trace shows the PLL connected , but the motor trying to reach the correct speed.

The last trace shows the PLL connected to the motor and spinning at the correct speed with frame lock.
Attachments
disk frame pulse plus ppl output - no sync, motor not controled by pll.jpg
Disk not spinning at correct speed and PLL not connected to motor
disk frame pulse plus ppl output - no sync, motor not controled by pll.jpg (271.14 KiB) Viewed 4088 times
trying to achieve sync - pll controlling motor.jpg
PLL connected to motor, trying to achieve correct speed.
trying to achieve sync - pll controlling motor.jpg (255.37 KiB) Viewed 4088 times
pll output vs disk frame pulse, frame lock.jpg
PLL connected to motor. Disk at correct speed and frame sync.
pll output vs disk frame pulse, frame lock.jpg (240.72 KiB) Viewed 4088 times
Rydepier
Mad Scientist

Return to Mechanical NBTV