Use the digital oscilloscope to repair the TV

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Use the digital oscilloscope to repair the TV

Postby kingjay » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:27 pm

when you need to repair a TV,what you use?
DMM,Oscilloscope,and other machine?What's the model of your machine?
I usually use a digital oscilloscope which bought in ebay two years ago.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l2736&_nkw=siglent
Useful and cheap!!! I like it.
kingjay
"Fester, enough of the light-bulbs!"

Re: Use the digital oscilloscope to repair the TV

Postby Steve Anderson » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:34 pm

kingjay wrote:What's the model of your machine? Useful and cheap!!! I like it.

Yea, and looking at that stuff cheap and cheerful. More than likely made in China and like everything I have bought that says, "Made in China" has either failed or caught fire. No thank you, I'll stick with Tektronix whatever the price.

Quality and China...oxymoronic.

Steve A.

P.S. 2000 posts!!!
Steve Anderson
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby DrZarkov » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:28 pm

Spam becomes more clever these days...
If the development departments in chinese factories are as clever as their marketing departments, quality should have been improved a lot in the last years. :lol:

Indeed chinese quality is better now than 10 years ago. Remember when we laughed about the plastic rubbish from Japan like "National" or "Lucky Goldstar" (o.k., that's Korea)? Now Panasonic or LG are producing quality. More than 125 years ago Germany had been forced (by the British Merchandise Marks Act from 1887) to print "made in Germany" on their export-products, as a warning. It became very fast a label of good quality. It happened with Japan, and I'm sure in about 10 years nobody will laugh about chinese quality.
DrZarkov
I think I've had a cranial implosion.

Postby gary » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:24 pm

Who needs an oscilloscope to repair a TV? All the BEST TVs operate in the audio frequency domain - so all you need is a PC with a sound card! :lol:
gary

Postby Steve Anderson » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:29 pm

Gary, quite right, indeed any TV repairman should only need a multimeter if he's any good.

This is an obvious commercial 'plug' which at first I was simply gonna delete and ban the user. But I thought it better that he maybe got the views of what we thought of the crap he's peddling.

However, I do agree with the good Dr. in that a decade or so China may catch up on the quality and reliability front, but that is most definitely not today. OK, there maybe exceptions that prove the rule, but they are just that, exceptions.

If I pick something up when out shopping and it says "Made in China" on the underside I put it back on the shelf and walk away. There's only three things that matter to their marketing, price, price and price, nothing else. I can say this as I lived amongst them for six years in Hong Kong and that was the rule. Period.

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Postby gary » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:42 pm

Yes Steve, but how could the government pretend inflation is low without those wonderfully cheap (if totally crap) electrical and electronic goods coming out of China?
gary

Postby Steve Anderson » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:56 pm

gary wrote:..those wonderfully cheap (if totally crap) electrical and electronic goods coming out of China?

Succinctly put.

I can only go my own experience and of those I know who have been dismayed and disappointed by Chinese made products. Would you want to step aboard a Chinese made aircraft...after you sir...

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Postby gary » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:05 pm

Not bloody likely... lol

To be honest though, if you consider these items "disposable", they do give you the option of trying a lot of things at relatively little expense. This is particularly true of those HK based places that offer "free shipping" - I really don't know how they do that - they are particularly good for purchasing things like ultra bright LEDs. I also bought a PC mouse - free shipping $1.50! crazy - works ok, if it falls over tomorrow I have probably had $10 use out of it.

As long as you don't expect these things to last very long - well they do the job.

But aircraft? nah!

edit: or anything important
gary

Postby Steve Anderson » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:27 pm

Well, one could view these items as 'disposable', the hassle comes in getting a replacement. You have the trek to wherever the store may be that has the next version...

The keyboard I'm using right mow is made by Microsoft (an irony there as I'm running Linux) and it's crap. Made in China, not even two years old and the keys squeak, stick and generally are a pain. My other PC (which does run Windoze) has a Logitech (Korea I think) keyboard, five years old and never misses a heartbeat. Ten US dollars well spent.

Steve A.
Attachments
Kybrd 1.jpg
Kybrd 1.jpg (54.84 KiB) Viewed 16700 times
Steve Anderson

Postby gary » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:37 pm

I have access to so many "recycled" keyboards I wonder why anyone bothers buying them any more - when people upgrade their computers (I know quite a few who do that almost annually) they seem to throw out all the "peripherals" as well - their loss my gain.

I must admit though to taking a verbal battering from a friend recently when she saw the state of my keyboard! I made the mistake of inviting her to look something up on Google, or something. I only see the keys I use and they are perfectly clean - it's amazing how many "redundant" keys there are on a full keyboard. The keyboard I am typing on now I am sure is at least 10 years old - made in China - works so well tha, despite it's shocking condition, I am loathe to part with it.
gary

Postby Steve Anderson » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:50 pm

The Logitech keyboard mentioned previously is in a similar condition, err, shall we say it's a bit 'crusty'. But it still works...and I'm not gonna post a picture of it...

Just like my mobile phone they're all hand-me-downs from the family, my current phone is at least seven years old, but it does what I want...it's a phone without a cord or a coin-slot. And that's all I want. The rest is all bollocks. Of which I don't care for...

Steve A.

P.S. It was probably made 'there'...
Steve Anderson

Postby gary » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:56 pm

I haven't joined the mobile phone age yet, not that I don't appreciate the technology but I don't believe in "plans" - plans were invented for the benefit of suppliers not consumers, my only exception is my ISP - but that was unavoidable - and I am well out of the "plan" now...
gary

Postby Steve Anderson » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:05 pm

Getting back on-thread...

Check out the warranty situation...'cos you WILL be needing it...four weeks, return to factory (in China at probably your expense), good luck...

Steve A.

Who said "Technophobia"?
Steve Anderson

Postby AncientBrit » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:15 pm

The problem we have in the UK is that most well known brands are sourced from the People's Republic of China aka "Made in PRC" so it's difficult to buy otherwise.

As for the original 'poster' being shamed, I doubt it, water off a duck's (Peking) back.

Cheers,

Graham
AncientBrit
Green padded cells are quite homely.

Postby M3DVQ » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:13 am

The thing with Chinese goods is that stuff may be "Made in China" and be perfectly good quality since it was designed elsewhere and manufactured by Foxconn etc. On the other hand it may actually be a Chinese knock off based on the last thing they manufactured and have since reverse engineered and cloned (the unlicensed Chinese clones are often a generation behind the current technology too)

The other thing they do is omit anything they can to get the price down like fuses, RF filtering, and voltage regulation :evil:

I saw a case recently where a company had bought in cheap chinese phone chargers of the car lighter socker variety which turned out not to contain any components at all just put 12v onto the USB plug :!:
M3DVQ
Just nod and pretend you understand me

Return to Mechanical NBTV