Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Re: nbtv news letter

Postby Lawnboy » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:45 am

Got mine today! (East coast, USA)
Lawnboy
Just nod and pretend you understand me

Postby Harry Dalek » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:59 pm

Still waiting perhaps i am being punished for loosing my way and being an out cast ,i might have to speak to the leader to be let back into the tribe :?
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby Harry Dalek » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:34 pm

Got my newsletter today .
Talking about polygon mirrors now thats an issue for me :wink:
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek

Question re: Newsletter

Postby Jim Wood » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:29 am

Greetings, all.

I put this question to Dave Gentle, as it's subscription-related, but perhaps he's the wrong fellow to ask in this case. When I went in to renew my sub for 2015, I noted for the first time that a 'cyber' issue of the Newsletter is available at a much-reduced subscription rate than the mailed version in an overseas situation. My question is, what is the form of the e-Newsletter? Is it simply a .pdf of the mailed copy, or is it formatted differently? Is it in full colo(u)r, like the current issues, or text with attached illustrations? I wonder if someone else is cyber-subscribed and could supply a sample copy for consideration, or tell me whom I might ask directly for that. Maybe if health holds up and I'm the club for another 40 years, I might save half a tree!

Thanks,

Jim Wood
California
Jim Wood
"Fester, enough of the light-bulbs!"

Postby Klaas Robers » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:36 pm

Jim, I am not sure if Jeremy has decided yet in wich form the Electronic Newsletter will be sent. This form came up last year during the Convention in Loughborough and I think no ENL has been sent yet, so you can't get a sample. The Newsletter that you received in January (or February) was dated "December 2014", so this was the last issue of the year in which the cyber membership was not yet an option.

It is not for the trees that there came this cyber membership, but for the rapidly raising costs of sending by paper mail. In any way, if you are going to print the received ENL it will not save any tree.

But if you want to get the latest information about the form of the ENL, send an e-mail to Jeremy, at the same kind of address as Vic.
Klaas Robers
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby gary » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:01 am

Ha! I am very pleased to announce I have received Vol. 39 No. 3.

Unless I am very much mistaken this is some kind of record as I have not yet heard of anyone else having received it.

This edition contains some very good news indeed for us out in the boondocks...
gary

Postby DrZarkov » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:37 pm

I'm sorry, but I received it about one week ago. :wink:
DrZarkov
I think I've had a cranial implosion.

Postby gary » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:57 pm

DrZarkov wrote:I'm sorry, but I received it about one week ago. :wink:

Darn it! LOL - oh well I am very pleased to have received it within a week of you, that's still very good by my standards.

I am surprised, however, that there hasn't been any chatter about the new membership/newsletter arrangement.
gary

Postby Harry Dalek » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:54 am

gary wrote:
Darn it! LOL - oh well I am very pleased to have received it within a week of you, that's still very good by my standards.

I am surprised, however, that there hasn't been any chatter about the new membership/newsletter arrangement.

Hi Gary

Well i have some chatter ! how do you swap over to electronic ? i have just got my newsletter today ,i would rather next get the newsletter via PDF and not get any more snail mail newsletters in this way i have mainly months of membership more than i could now sort of wasting it with a paper version of the newsletter ...

In other words who do i contact via email .....bit of luck might get another year out of the membership or more i have got 2 newsletters out of my renewal really would be great to swap over .
Harry Dalek

Postby gary » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:06 pm

Harry, there is a slip of paper along with the newsletter that explains how it's done, but if you have some issues the person to contact is David Gentle - contact address is on the NBTV website.
gary

Postby Harry Dalek » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:44 am

gary wrote:Harry, there is a slip of paper along with the newsletter that explains how it's done, but if you have some issues the person to contact is David Gentle - contact address is on the NBTV website.

Thanks Gary will do , some thing i would like to mention since the pdf idea has come about gone electronic is why do we have to be stuck if static images i always liked photo news at the end of the newsletter ,wouldn't that be nice to be able to see this as in video news now as a extra file ? not sure its easy to ad animations to a pdf ? perhaps easier to make a video news movie file and accompany the pdf . Just an idea
Harry Dalek

Postby Harry Dalek » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:42 am

One thing i am surprised that newsletter is emailed if i were them it would be much easier to put one in the membership area of the handbook web site and make us download it neither here nor there for me but but that would be more logical.
Harry Dalek

Postby DrZarkov » Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:05 pm

The advantage of e-mail instead of a download area is, that it is less likely to find any illegal copies in the internet.
DrZarkov
I think I've had a cranial implosion.

Postby Steve Anderson » Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:18 pm

Isn't technology marvelous?...that is when it works! I just renewed my NBTVA membership ('cyber' version) via paypal.

So no more scanning, no more soggy copies...though the plastic wrapper has helped there, no more being re-directed via Upper Volta. And I can get it anywhere in the world I might be with an internet connection. The current printed version has been sitting at home for at least a week but I won't be able to read it until I return.

Videos would be a welcome addition but they require a lot more effort to produce than a still. Jeremy struggles to simply get text, diagrams and photos as it is.

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Postby gary » Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:26 pm

Steve Anderson wrote:Isn't technology marvelous! I just renewed my NBTVA membership ('cyber' version) via paypal...that is when it works!

So no more scanning, no more soggy copies...though the plastic wrapper has helped there, no more being re-directed via Upper Volta. And I can get it anywhere in the world I might be with an internet connection. The current printed version has been sitting at home for at least a week but I won't be able to read it until I return.

Videos would be a welcome addition but they require a lot more effort to produce than a still. Jeremy struggles to simply get text, diagrams and photos as it is.

Steve A.

Although the ability for users to submit *video* articles is appealing, a kind of NBTVTube...
gary

PreviousNext

Return to Mechanical NBTV