NBTV without any moving parts. THE NIPTRIX

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Postby Steve Anderson » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:41 pm

That sounds like a plan Stan, let us know how it all works out.

Viewmaster wrote:So plenty of investigative work to be done as the snow comes down here in the UK Midlands :) Brrrrrrr.

Yes, a bit chilly here today too, I even had to put a T-shirt on in the workshop as it's only 26 Celcius.

Steve A.
Last edited by Steve Anderson on Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Anderson
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby gary » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:44 pm

39C here in Bundanoon - 46C up in Sydney - please send snow...
gary

Postby Steve Anderson » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:48 pm

Nah! The only place a wanna see snow is on a Christmas card...when I see it in movies, you know, I still can't quite place it...

Most of my family here have never seen snow, frost, or ice on the inside of windows...frozen puddles nor ever skated (fallen over is probably more correct) on ice...nor driven on the damn stuff either...
Steve Anderson

Postby gary » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:59 pm

Steve - you can keep your heat and humidity - Albert send me some snoooowww!....
gary

Postby Viewmaster » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:20 pm

gary wrote:Albert send me some snoooowww!....

Your wish is my command :)
Hope this cools you down.
Attachments
Picture 132.jpg
Snow for Gary !
Picture 132.jpg (131.71 KiB) Viewed 17131 times
“One small step for a man,"......because he has Arthritis.
Albert.
Viewmaster
Frankenstein was my uncle.

Postby gary » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:47 pm

Nice! Thank you!
gary

Postby DrZarkov » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:24 pm

Looks beautiful. Could be nice, if it wasn't so cold... We had -14° C last night.
DrZarkov
I think I've had a cranial implosion.

Postby gary » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:38 pm

It's interesting, isn't it?, how the northern and southern hemispheres seem to balance each other out such that the overall average is the same...
gary

Postby Steve Anderson » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:01 pm

DrZarkov wrote:We had -14° C last night.

Bugger that! All cars here have air-con, NONE have heaters. Similar story in houses, most but not all have air-con, (ours doesn't) but none have any form of heating.

Any form of a hot-water system in a house is almost unheard of too.

Steve A.

Albert...pull us back on track please...
Steve Anderson

Postby Viewmaster » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:40 pm

Steve Anderson wrote:Albert...pull us back on track please...

Well I haven't anything much to report, Steve, except just fiddling about as I have a rotten cold now. :cry:

But yesterday, I used the normal length line pulses ( a 'shortner' cct being built) to reset the 48 pixels.
There is a clash I believe between that reset and the existing internal reset part of the cct, so I will experiment to find a way a round this.
Two resets spell trouble methinks.

But what was interesting was that although the picture was divided into sections, (maybe caused by this clashing of resets), there was
minimal bounce. :shock:

There so much circuitry in the Niptrix that in messing around with it one can inadvertantly cause another problem, unknown to one at the time.

So I reckon that it's something to do with either my resetting method used and/or the reset/sync pulse lengths.

In my haste I disconnected part of resetting OR gates for experimentation and left them floating for example.....
So I must calm down, take some deep breaths, go to the toilet, have some coffee, go for a walk around the block, practice shouting "Eureka" and have another go. :lol:

More anon.
Albert.
Viewmaster

Postby Viewmaster » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:46 pm

Here's a video of Niptrix so far.
I wasn't going to post this as the black running camera bars completely spoil the picture. I must find a cure for this .......but anyway here it is.....
and the camera shake doesn't help either.

The bounce is much less. The two lines missing on the RH side are caused by low o/p from two 2N3904s which have been changedbut no cure yet so more detective work there required.

The clocking of the pixels is still very suspect although I have reduced the reset pulse length to 5 usec.........after a white section sometimes the next BLACK pixel is slightly ON. It varies.

Gamma correction is poor too at present, but I can obtain a very bright picture in a lit room even though the LEDs are being well under run.
Attachments
Track 44.avi
Track 44 of club CD
(7.03 MiB) Downloaded 664 times
Albert.
Viewmaster

Postby Panrock » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:02 am

A fine achievement. Well done! Is the picture currently upside down? If so, this was a considerate thing to do for our Australian members. :D

Steve O
Panrock
Green padded cells are quite homely.

Postby gary » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:22 am

No, it's sideways - must be for the Japanese... :shock:
gary

Postby Viewmaster » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:37 pm

I have now got out my old beloved Sony TRV900 mini DV camera which has variable shutter timing and exposure.
Filming the Niptrix is now greatly improved from that awful video I recently posted from my fuji mini camera with those running black areas.
Sorry about that.

Bounce has now completely gone. 3 missing lines still to be sorted. Also need a video boost so will build the 3 trany amplifier in the handbook.

When this is done I will re video the Niptrix with those running black areas eliminated by running the TRV900 camera shutter at 12 FPS.

.....And the new video will also be the right way up without any camera shake! :)
More anon.
Albert.
Viewmaster

Postby Steve Anderson » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:11 pm

Albert, are you saying that three complete lines are missing? All 48 pixels dead? i.e. you only have 29 lines. Or three pixels dead, only 45 pixels in each line but 32 lines?

Whichever way, is it consistent? Lines 1,2,3 or 30,31,32 or pixels 1,2,3, or pixels 46,47,48?

If it's pixels don't forget you've included sync time in your clocking speed, if it's three complete lines then that is an oddity.

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

PreviousNext

Return to Mechanical NBTV