The ultimate 625 line to NBTV converter. The TELLYNIPTRIX

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Postby Viewmaster » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:13 pm

Here's mock up of the Tellyniptrix. The small 5 inch dia. Nipkow disk has not yet been drilled and nothing is yet bolted down.

But one should be able to view either B/W 625 TV or DVD or a live 625 camera input on the end of that portable probe.
Then see the NBTV converted picture on the Niptrix, mounted on the wall above.

Frames per second of NBTV camera and synced Niptrix to be adjustable from one to 100 plus :shock: .....just for viewing experiments. :wink:
Attachments
Mock up.jpg
Mock up
Mock up.jpg (72.02 KiB) Viewed 5023 times
“One small step for a man,"......because he has Arthritis.
Albert.
Viewmaster
Frankenstein was my uncle.

Postby Steve Anderson » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:49 pm

A bit off-topic, but continuing with the lack of 625 sources mentioned earlier for the 625-NBTV down convertor I contacted my cable TV service provider
and asked if they had any set-top boxes which had other outputs in addition to HDMI. They did. Within an hour a guy turned up with a selection of four. I was amazed!

The one I chose has HDMI, analogue PAL 625 and analogue component (Y,Cb,Cr) 1080i/25 HD plus analogue stereo sound. Cost...ZERO!! I still can't believe it!

So, which way do I go? Continue with 625-NBTV or have a go at converting 1080i/25 to NBTV? Which one (analogue anyway) is going to be around longest?

Steve A.
Steve Anderson
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby M3DVQ » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:52 am

I would wager 625 line is going to be around a lot longer than analogue 1080i since the latter is basically redundant. Anything that can generate or display an HD signal will do 1080p and be hdmi/dvi I'd have thought.

Security cameras, reversing/parking cameras etc all do 625 line video and that seems to be plenty of lines for those tasks so I can imagine analogue video living on for some time doing that. It has the advantage that it degrades gracefully if you shove it down many feet of grotty cheap cable unlike the digital solutions which either want ludicrously expensive cable, or extra electronics to push the stream across ethernet.
M3DVQ
Just nod and pretend you understand me

Previous

Return to Mechanical NBTV