Film clips on NBTV

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Film clips on NBTV

Postby Viewmaster » Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:19 pm

I have just used Gary's excellent Video2NBTV to convert Adele Dixon, singing, 'The Television Song,' in 1936 when Ally Pally started up.
I'm sure most will know this song, which begins...

A mighty maze of mystic, magic rays
Is all about us in the blue,
And in sight and sound they trace
Living pictures out of space
To bring a new wonder to you.......

No doubt many of you may have done this already.

Gary's application does a good job on this clip, with sound, in converting it to 32 lines.
This is the sort of thing I wish to see on my own NBTV
(when finished !!) as it will help bring the machine to life.

There is also Helen McKay singing from Olympia earlier in 1936, "Here's looking at you"

Both these songs went out on the Marconi and Baird system too in 1936 so converting them to a 32 line Baird type media seems appropriate.

There is also the BBC Television Newsreel's opening too which converts very well to 32 lines, again using Gary's Video2NBTV, although that was broadcast very much later.
Thanks Gary.

Albert.
Viewmaster
Frankenstein was my uncle.

Postby DrZarkov » Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:52 am

Because I'm from Germany, I don't know it (even if we have a similar song from 1936 "können Sie schon fernsehen?" (are you able to watch TV?) by Erwin Hartung), so I would really like to see it. Are you able to make an upload somewhere? If it is not too big, I have some webspace available.
DrZarkov
I think I've had a cranial implosion.

Re: Film clips on NBTV

Postby ac7zl » Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:03 pm

Where can I get a copy of Video2NBTV?

Pete
AC7ZL

Viewmaster wrote:I have just used Gary's excellent Video2NBTV to convert Adele Dixon, singing, 'The Television Song,' in 1936 when Ally Pally started up.
I'm sure most will know this song, which begins...

A mighty maze of mystic, magic rays
Is all about us in the blue,
And in sight and sound they trace
Living pictures out of space
To bring a new wonder to you.......

No doubt many of you may have done this already.

Gary's application does a good job on this clip, with sound, in converting it to 32 lines.
This is the sort of thing I wish to see on my own NBTV
(when finished !!) as it will help bring the machine to life.

There is also Helen McKay singing from Olympia earlier in 1936, "Here's looking at you"

Both these songs went out on the Marconi and Baird system too in 1936 so converting them to a 32 line Baird type media seems appropriate.

There is also the BBC Television Newsreel's opening too which converts very well to 32 lines, again using Gary's Video2NBTV, although that was broadcast very much later.
Thanks Gary.

Albert.
ac7zl
Mad Scientist

Re: Film clips on NBTV

Postby gary » Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:10 pm

ac7zl wrote:Where can I get a copy of Video2NBTV?

Pete
AC7ZL

http://users.tpg.com.au/users/gmillard/nbtv.htm
gary

Postby Viewmaster » Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:29 pm

DrZarkov wrote:Because I'm from Germany, I don't know it (even if we have a similar song from 1936 "können Sie schon fernsehen?" (are you able to watch TV?) by Erwin Hartung), so I would really like to see it. Are you able to make an upload somewhere? If it is not too big, I have some webspace available.

Sorry DrZ, but I cannot put it on the internet as it is BBC copyright material.
You can see it here though in non NBTV if you follow the, Sound on vision on, links........

http://www.bbc.co.uk/heritage/

It's near the end of the 10 minute film, "Television comes to London, 1936." and there is no way of getting there quick, so just sit back and enjoy how Ally Pally was built! :)
Albert.
Viewmaster

Postby DrZarkov » Tue May 01, 2007 8:58 pm

Thank you for the link, I've injoyed the film very much! It was completely new to me. But also the rest of the history side is well done and interesting.
DrZarkov

Postby Viewmaster » Wed May 02, 2007 6:53 pm

Glad you enjoyed it.....Did you notice that whist Adele Dixon was singing and the TX was on the air, a shot showed that the water cooling for the CAT valves showed "zero" flow on the gallons per minute meter! Normally nil flow would have taken the TX off air, so this was a shot just slipped in by mistake.
Albert.
Viewmaster

Postby DrZarkov » Wed May 02, 2007 10:31 pm

By mistake, or on the cutter's table. The cutter or the director did not know that more than 70 years later television-experts will watch the film ;-)
DrZarkov

Return to Mechanical NBTV