Video-game for NBTV?

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Postby Andrew Davie » Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:44 pm

DrZarkov wrote:Hello Andrew, there are so many Boulder Dash clones arround, I bet none of them has a licence of the original Boulder Dash. Just change the name a little bit, and I'm sure nobody will sue you for a Atari VCS version of it. (BTW.: You don't want to come on 28/29 September to Stuttgart to the "Classic-computing 2007"?). There are enough enthusiasts for that. Of course an NBTV monitor is good enough for games like "Tetris", "Pong" or games like that. I think to create a new logic for that would be easier and cheaper than just use a converter.

Since I had already contacted the owners, and we did not come to an arrangement, I do not feel inclined to bypass them in such a way. I'm happy to have written it, and it will have to remain at that point.

On a side-note, you may enjoy http://www.archive.org/details/NiklasRoyPongmechanik
Andrew Davie
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby AncientBrit » Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:29 pm

Steve,

A bit off topic but you mentioned Plymouth, my home town.

When we were in the Science Society at school one of our visits was to STC at Paignton where we saw valves (bottles) being assembled.

Very labour intensive but fascinating to see,

Regards,

Graham
AncientBrit
Green padded cells are quite homely.

Postby kareno » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:17 am

Has anyone heard of 'chip 8'?

It is a virtual machine specification for video games and assumes a 32x64 pixel display. Not only is the aspect ratio different to NBTVA standard but it is landscape and not portrait. So some monitor modifications would be needed including turning the monitor on its side!

Quite a few games were written for this virtual machine.
kareno

Postby dominicbeesley » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:46 pm

Hi All,

One of the first peripherals I made for my homebrew z80 was a colour NBSC graphics card and of course a game to try it out. I made a quick and dirty version of "snake". Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of the game but there's some screen shots of the colour graphics card powering a Nipkow are here: http://z80homebrew.blogspot.com/ I'll try and get some pics when I get back but it may take some time as I managed to pull a wire from the back of the board last time I took it out!

Dom
dominicbeesley
Anyone have a spare straightjacket?

Postby M3DVQ » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:29 pm

coo, that's rather nifty.

I see myself loosing a day reading your whole blog now as tinkering with 8-bit computers is a hobby of mine too :)
M3DVQ
Just nod and pretend you understand me

Postby Lowtone » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:58 am

It would be fun to have a videogame for the 32 line :lol:

I was born in the 80's and my first video game was a game boy.

Last year I found a Pong machine at flea market. I repaired it. The output was an antenna cable, so I add a composite output on RCA plug.

And I discoverd Pong 40 years after everyone :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:
It was very weird to me, everything is in black and white, the sound is simple, the game is easyer than Tetris but...

I spent the whole day to play it ! :lol: Belive it or not I was hypnotised by Pong. This game looks simple and boring, but in fact this is a lot funny :D
r a d i o P T T v i s i o n
Lowtone

Postby DrZarkov » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:17 am

Three weeks ago we were at an exhibition of classic-computers in Nordhorn. A big success was my old "Pong" game from GDR, connected to an old "Yunost 603" TV-set from the USSR. Not only people of my age, also children were very interested in that "stoneage technology."
Attachments
ddr-pong.jpg
ddr-pong.jpg (82.71 KiB) Viewed 10998 times
DrZarkov
I think I've had a cranial implosion.

Re: Video-game for NBTV?

Postby AlbertHartkopf » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:41 am

I would like to watch and play modern day's video games on my NVTV monitors. Creative ideas are always welcome. I am a video game developer also but do so only with my passion, not a professional. so if anybody come forward, I would like to be a part.
AlbertHartkopf
"Fester, enough of the light-bulbs!"

Postby AlbertHartkopf » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:38 pm

I wish people come forward with strong determination to develop games of NBTA. As a regular gamer, I shall be very happy to see that.
AlbertHartkopf
"Fester, enough of the light-bulbs!"

Postby smeezekitty » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:37 am

AlbertHartkopf wrote:I wish people come forward with strong determination to develop games of NBTA. As a regular gamer, I shall be very happy to see that.

I made another thread here about tetris I implemented in NBTV. It is *very* challenging to make a playable game with a resolution of 32x48
smeezekitty

Previous

Return to Mechanical NBTV