NBTVA Newsletter Options.

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

How would you prefer to receive the NBTVA Newsletter?

In the current printed copy, posted.
45%
As a file e-mailed to you or a download.
55%

Total votes : 11

NBTVA Newsletter Options.

Postby Steve Anderson » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:25 pm

Above is a simple choice. In what manner would you prefer the NBTVA Newsletter delivered? Consider the postings in the thread "nbtv news letter". Assume that the cost for either option is the same, and no, you can't have both.
Steve Anderson
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby Panrock » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:17 pm

I haven't voted yet. The problem for me is the 'either-or' nature of the choice. I don't see why it can't be 'and-or'.

I agree it would most logical to be either-or if the electronic version of the newsletter had to be emailed, but if it were put on the site in a private area, it could be made available to all paid members as an option - or a back-up.

I personally like having a printed copy in my hands, but don't see why this choice should have to inconvenience overseas members.

Sorry to complicate the issue! :oops:

Steve O
Panrock
Green padded cells are quite homely.

Postby Steve Anderson » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:59 pm

I made it a 'one-only' option to see which of the two members preferred. I understand the attraction of the printed version but for me when working away from home for months I can't take those with me. Whereas the scans I do myself I can take with me on the laptop.

The sending of a .pdf version would make it easier for me, sure, but I don't keep the printed version as space is at a premium here...I know they don't take up much room but if I had to keep all the .pdf periodicals I receive as as paper then there would be a problem!

The idea of a .pdf back-up via the web-site is valid. Members who didn't want the printed version could get their copy there. Or Jeremy could simply do a group (bulk) e-mail.

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Postby Dave Moll » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:24 pm

Whilst I appreciate the problems of delays in a printed copy reaching the further corners of the globe* (not that a globe has corners!) I would not support any move to do away with the (very professionally) printed version of the newsletter. I have, therefore, voted in favour of the status quo.

Unlike Steve, I devote a great deal of space to printed materials (including periodicals) relating to a number of interests - along with an even greater amount of space to the artifacts of said interests. But then, I don't have family members taking up space. :lol:

*Mind you, I seem to recall that the current issue reached Steve's scanner BEFORE venturing into Cumbria!
Dave Moll
Anyone have a spare straightjacket?

Postby Steve Anderson » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:12 pm

Ah! Just to be clear, I am certainly not saying that the printed version be discontinued. Just that increasingly publishing uses both formats and both have their advantages and disadvantages.

It's up to the subscriber to choose which version they would prefer.

Steve A.

I get my daily English-language newspaper here as a .pdf. (The Bangkok Post).
Steve Anderson

Postby M3DVQ » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:56 pm

I would say that any discussion is pretty much pointless since the committee have made it clear that there will be no further discussion on the subject.

Developing a reasonably secure electronic download option is too complicated for them to understand and they don't want any help to implement one.

They are paranoid that if they allow electronic distribution someone will pirate the magazine and remove the incentive to join the association. This seems a little crazy to me since there's an archive of scans of all the back issues of the magazine available and no-one seems concerned about that ending up online.

The committee even mentioned a simple solution at the last AGM: Having members' name/address/etc applied to the pages as a watermark before emailing the pdf but it seems this was intended to be an example of how it's all far too hard to do rather than an actual suggestion.

I would be quite happy to write the scripts necessary to apply the watermarks and dispatch the emails, but I daren't bring the subject up at the AGM again. :roll:
M3DVQ
Just nod and pretend you understand me

Postby Steve Anderson » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:10 am

If you've got a PDF writer/composer then you can open the .pdf and remove the watermark, even with locked .pdfs. I have a simple bit of software that removes or ignores the lock when you re-save the file.

Well, personally I'm of the mind-set not to re-new my subscription next year if that's the mood of the majority of the members that can make it to the convention. Those that cannot make it to the AGM/convention don't seem to have any say in the matter. Hardly democratic.

Remember, 32-line TV was new technology in it's day, some said it would never catch on....

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Postby M3DVQ » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:23 am

Steve Anderson wrote:If you've got a PDF writer/composer then you can open the .pdf and remove the watermark, even with locked .pdfs. I have a simple bit of software that removes or ignores the lock when you re-save the file.

Well the pages would have to be rendered as images, watermarked, and embedded into a PDF. Obviously you couldn't then select text or use a screen reader etc, but since you can't do that with a paper magazine either it would seem to be a fair compromise :)
M3DVQ

Postby M3DVQ » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:29 am

Steve Anderson wrote:Well, personally I'm of the mind-set not to re-new my subscription next year if that's the mood of the majority of the members that can make it to the convention

I wouldn't say that it is the mood of the majority. Several people have argued the pros of making an electronic copy available to people who want it, at several AGMs. The naysayers had much the same attitude as they do about this forum "I don't understand it or see any point in using it so it must be a stupid idea". Every year there were the same circular arguments until last year the committee said enough, it's not happening, and we're moving on to the next item on the agenda. :roll:
M3DVQ

Postby Viewmaster » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:06 pm

Steve Anderson wrote:Well, personally I'm of the mind-set not to re-new my subscription next year if that's the mood of the majority of the members that can make it to the convention. .

O please don't do that, Steve. If you did leave it would be a great loss to NBTVA.
"WE NEED YOU." :)
If you did leave, who would write your many newsletter articles? :shock:

I have always been at a loss as to way quite a few top members wouldn't ever consider reading and taking part in this forum. Why o why?
Maybe, we here, have the dreaded contagion. Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh.
“One small step for a man,"......because he has Arthritis.
Albert.
Viewmaster
Frankenstein was my uncle.

Postby Panrock » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:39 pm

Just guessing here.... maybe deep down they fear that the 'instant' nature of an internet forum, together with its capacity to easily publicize constructional details and photographs, threatens the need for a newsletter altogether. And that the rich content on this forum is already sucking copy away from the newsletter, or making it 'stale' when it eventually does appear there.

As I say, just guessing...

Steve O
Panrock
Green padded cells are quite homely.

Postby Klaas Robers » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:57 am

Many clubs are struggeling with this dillemma. I understood that the BATC (what ever it may be) tried it and abandoned it, as members "quitted" and distributed the electronic magazine to each other.

If there is a fail safe way found, that prevents this form of piracy, I guess this may be considered again. But if (larger and more powerfull) clubs abandon this after they tried it for some time, the NBTVA should not be the first to blow up itself.
Klaas Robers
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby M3DVQ » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:54 am

Klaas Robers wrote:If there is a fail safe way found, that prevents this form of piracy

There isn't any failsafe way to prevent piracy, there never will be.

Note that this includes printing the PDF out and posting it to members. The only way to stop someone copying the magazine is not to distribute it at all.
M3DVQ

Postby Steve Anderson » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:29 pm

Klaas Robers wrote:I understood that the BATC (what ever it may be) tried it and abandoned it, as members "quitted" and distributed the electronic magazine to each other.

Klaas, that's not quite correct. I renewed my 'cyber-membership' to the BATC over the weekend, their magazine CQTV is delivered electronically (a .pdf), but you still have the option of the printed version if you prefer.

BATC = British Amateur Television Club.

Quite a few NBTV items have appeared in it over the years.

http://www.batc.org.uk/

Steve A.

In fact I received a prize of a FSTV character generator a few years ago as a result of one of my items being published. You'll be pleased to know it was a NBTV article.
Steve Anderson

Postby gary » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:07 pm

Steve Anderson wrote:In fact I received a prize of a FSTV character generator a few years ago as a result of one of my items being published. You'll be pleased to know it was a NBTV article.

Congratulations Steve! Well done!
gary

Next

Return to Mechanical NBTV