Kerr Cell

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Kerr Cell

Postby Panrock » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:52 pm

I noticed the Kerr Cell was mentioned in another thread. Has anyone here ever made one of these that worked? Mine didn't!

Many years ago I made a Kerr Cell based on a Tuning Capacitor sitting in a transparent container and filled with Nitrobenzene. Either side sat a (crossed) polarised film. The light shone across and through the tuning capacitor vanes.

The Nitrobenzene was viciously poisonous stuff and I originally found it hard to obtain. It had a sickly-sweet smell and apparently once you had smelt it, it was already 'too late'. I was very careful and only ever experienced the merest whiff... Nevertheless legend has it that nitrobenzene was used in perfume in the 1930s !!! For years after constructing this cell, I stored it and the bottle of nitrobenzene rather like I would nuclear waste - sealed in an inaccessible corner of a brick shithouse.

Anyway, I fired the thing up and eventually worked up to 1000 volts across the vanes before my courage failed. I didn't want it to explode, showering me and the neighbourhood with nitrobenzene! I never observed any polarising shift in the light, and the cell was damned inefficient optically anyway.

Anyone had more luck?

Steve O
Panrock
Green padded cells are quite homely.

Postby gary » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:20 pm

Gosh, I am so full of admiration for you in attempting to create a Kerr cell.
I live in the "nanny state" of all "nanny states" so obtaining nitrobenzene would be all but impossible (legally anyway).

I noticed in the last newsletter that the club shop has a supply of large quartz crystals - I wonder if these would be suitable for a less lethal Jeffree Cell? There I go going off topic again.
gary

Postby Panrock » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:18 pm

gary wrote:I live in the "nanny state" of all "nanny states"

Then maybe Australia would like to join 'Europe' rather than us? There could be a vacancy soon...

gary wrote:There I go going off topic again.

Me too! :lol:

Steve O
Panrock
Green padded cells are quite homely.

Postby gary » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:22 pm

Panrock wrote:Then maybe Australia would like to join 'Europe' rather than us? There could be a vacancy soon...
Steve O

Oh please do not start me off - we are already there - at least in all the left wing stuff... for now...
gary

Postby Viewmaster » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:03 pm

Panrock wrote:
gary wrote:I live in the "nanny state" of all "nanny states"

Then maybe Australia would like to join 'Europe' rather than us? There could be a vacancy soon...
Steve O

A vacancy? O if only that were so. :cry:

Well I do my best to get that vacancy......I'm a United 'KIPper'. :)
“One small step for a man,"......because he has Arthritis.
Albert.
Viewmaster
Frankenstein was my uncle.

Postby gary » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:18 pm

I think I am with you Albert but "KIP"?? what's that?

(We are not supposed to discuss religion or politics here so if you want to PM that's fine).

back on topic! ;-)
gary

Postby Viewmaster » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:07 pm

gary wrote:(We are not supposed to discuss religion or politics here so if you want to PM that's fine).

back on topic! ;-)

PM sent, now back on topic.........
That Kerr cell is still for sale on ebay. I'm surprised that a vintage TV museum hasn't bought it. Good price as you mentioned.
“One small step for a man,"......because he has Arthritis.
Albert.
Viewmaster
Frankenstein was my uncle.

Postby Harry Dalek » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:22 am

gary wrote:Gosh, I am so full of admiration for you in attempting to create a Kerr cell.
I live in the "nanny state" of all "nanny states" so obtaining nitrobenzene would be all but impossible (legally anyway).

I noticed in the last newsletter that the club shop has a supply of large quartz crystals - I wonder if these would be suitable for a less lethal Jeffree Cell? There I go going off topic again.

I used to be an operator at a chemical plant at BHP i used to make Benzene !
and a few other aromatic compounds...i am not sure of the difference to nitrobenzene my stuff was nasty enough and had to work with the stuff every day .
I recall another operator telling me he had tried it in hes car ! and couldn't turn the car off ....
I know how to make benzene via coal.
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Return to Mechanical NBTV