Video2NBTV problem

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Video2NBTV problem

Postby Radio_Dave » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:22 pm

Hi,

All three versions of Video2NBTV have suddenly stopped working properly on my laptop. They only produce a .wav file that shows the bottom half of the video.

The problem started whilst using the 2 colour .wav file version but all versions are now affected. Uninstalling and re-installing (where possible) does not help :(. Any ideas what's happened?

Thanks
David
Radio_Dave
"Fester, enough of the light-bulbs!"

Re: Video2NBTV problem

Postby Harry Dalek » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:12 pm

Radio_Dave wrote:Hi,

All three versions of Video2NBTV have suddenly stopped working properly on my laptop. They only produce a .wav file that shows the bottom half of the video.

The problem started whilst using the 2 colour .wav file version but all versions are now affected. Uninstalling and re-installing (where possible) does not help :(. Any ideas what's happened?

Thanks
David

I Use a laptop never really had that problem ...i have had big picture freeze up but that lap top is playing up do you have the same problem using Doms NBTV software ?

I Don't think its any thing to do with Garys software Might have to do a Windows reinstall ? if that fails might be Hardware problem painful as it is i think i would before that try to roll back windows to an earlier time when it did work and if that fails reinstall Windows .
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Re: Video2NBTV problem

Postby gary » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:22 pm

Radio_Dave wrote:Hi,

Thanks
David

Please post (at least a short sequence of) the video and (at least a short clip of) the wave file.

Can you also confirm that the video is displaying correctly in the left video pane.

Also what format are you encoding to?
gary

Postby Radio_Dave » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:55 pm

Thank you for the replies.

I've attached a snapshot of Video2NBTV whilst converting and a .wav file of the result.

Thanks
David
Attachments
Video2NBTV.JPG
Video2NBTV.JPG (67.67 KiB) Viewed 15202 times
Test Card1.wav
(5.63 MiB) Downloaded 632 times
Radio_Dave

Postby gary » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:58 pm

Ok, that's a problem with a codec on your system - have you installed any video software or similar recently that may have changed things?
gary

Postby gary » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:03 pm

Also try a video with a different format (which should use a different codec) - that should verify it.
gary

Postby Radio_Dave » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:05 pm

No, I'm sure I haven't downloaded anything.
Radio_Dave

Postby Radio_Dave » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:39 pm

I've just tried an .mpeg file and it works fine. Is it possible to I re-install the codecs for .wmv?

Thanks
David
Radio_Dave

Postby gary » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:15 pm

Hi David, sorry for the late reply but of course we are at opposite sides of the globe.

Yes you could try that but before you do can you confirm that the WMV format USED to work until recently?

The reason I ask is that we may need to do more investigative work to determine which actual wmv codec is being used (there can be more than one). Under DirectShow codecs get a "merit" value so if the merit of the current codec is high it may still get used.

There are ways and means of determining which codec is in use but it would require a bit of work from yourself - although it is relatively straight forward.
gary

Postby gary » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:26 pm

Ok, I have been able to reproduce the problem - it seems to be related to the format of the wmv file (there is at least wmv 1, 2, and 3). I will investigate further and try and come up with a solution.
gary

Postby Radio_Dave » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:15 pm

Hi Gary,

If it's any help the wmv was made with Windows Movie Maker. Strangely, I have made a successful wav file from it in the past, with your Video2NBTV.

As mentioned earlier I haven't, knowingly, installed any programs but I do have automatic updates for Windows, Java and Adobe etc. I wonder if one of these has changed something?

Regards
David
Radio_Dave

Postby gary » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:19 pm

I am trying to ascertain just that as it obviously has worked in the past but suddenly it isn't working on my machine either.
gary

Postby gary » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:39 pm

Ok, I can confirm that it works on a system that has not been "windows updated" for some time.
gary

Postby gary » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:50 pm

gary

Postby Radio_Dave » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:01 pm

Excellent, well done Gary, I have just found the same thing http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2803821

I'm using Windows Vista and un-installing windows security update KB 2803821 fixes the problem. However, I don't know what the security implications will be?

Regards
David
Radio_Dave

Next

Return to Mechanical NBTV