Constructing trouble

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Postby Klaas Robers » Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:28 am

No, it won't harm. Try 100k, that is more or less what your finger is. But then, when it works in some way, let us know from where to where you connected the resistor. This migh make it possible to find out where it goes wrong.

Did you use a club PCB or have you built on experimenters board?
Klaas Robers
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby DrZarkov » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:09 am

I use the club PCBs. The resistor has to wait until tomorow, I've checked my resistors here, nothing which would fit. By that occasion I found a box with old resistors, some of them with values printed on them, no colour-bars. Would fit optically nice into a mechanical TV ;-) But I will buy some new resistors tomorrow.
DrZarkov
I think I've had a cranial implosion.

Postby Viewmaster » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:26 pm

You could use, say a 10k R with a 500k pot in series....in this way you can adjust and be able to get the best setting for this
ghost finger resistor! :shock:
Albert.
Viewmaster
Frankenstein was my uncle.

Postby DrZarkov » Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:01 am

:D At last! It works! And I found the mistake: It was nothing on the PCB, it was the !#*!!#? poti which had a malfunction. I thought before soldering in the resistor I check the thing I haven't, and it was the poti. I used it before for the motor-control of my other monitor, and it started to glow there. I must put in that one by mistake for the new monitor. Grrr. My own stupidity. Very strange that it worked with my thumb, I had never thought about the poti... :D
DrZarkov

Postby Steve Anderson » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:03 pm

DrZarkov wrote::D At last! It works! And I found the mistake: It was nothing on the PCB, it was the !#*!!#? poti which had a malfunction.

Somewhere in another thread I specifically mentioned the unreliability of electromechanical parts. I was trying to find that posting hoping to quote myself, but I couldn't locate it.

Andrews' response was something like "But this is mechanical TV, the more moving parts the better."

Well, it's come home to roost.

Also somewhere else I said to Andrew, "If you have a known faulty component, or even just suspect that it's defective, throw it away. It will come back later to bite you on the bum when you've forgotten it's faulty". How's your bum feeling?

Steve A.

Another thing worth mentioning is about soldering irons. If you drop it or it falls off the table never try and grab it. Jump back away from it, let it come to rest, then retrieve it. You might singe the carpet, but believe me, it's better than a nasty burn across the palm of your hand.
Steve Anderson
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby Viewmaster » Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:35 pm

Steve Anderson wrote:Another thing worth mentioning is about soldering irons. If you drop it or it falls off the table never try and grab it. Jump back away from it, let it come to rest, then retrieve it. You might singe the carpet, but believe me, it's better than a nasty burn across the palm of your hand.

My wife would sooner me burn my hand than singe her lovely old carpet. :lol:
Albert.
Viewmaster
Frankenstein was my uncle.

Postby DrZarkov » Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:50 pm

In my working room there is no carpet :D
DrZarkov

Postby Steve Anderson » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:11 pm

Viewmaster wrote:My wife would sooner me burn my hand than singe her lovely old carpet. :lol:
Albert.

You know, I had a feeling that someone would post something like that!

Cynical? Me? Never.

Steve A.

Seen on the bridge of the QE2 when I installed new RADAR....

"I am the captain of this ship, and I have my wifes permission to say so."
Steve Anderson
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Previous

Return to Mechanical NBTV