New to the site, where should I begin?

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

New to the site, where should I begin?

Postby Themartianist » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:29 am

Greetings. I came across this site while doing some research for a 1920s themed party I plan to host. When I discovered the mechanical television, I was fascinated and I thought it would really fun to build one and put in on display for the party. Then I thought it would be even more exciting if I could build one that was two-way (a primitive video phone) by putting the camera and monitor on one disk and it looks like chapter 17 in the handbook shows a diagram of one that does just that. Then rather than building second one, I could maybe just attach a low-range AM transmitter to a computer with a web cam... assuming that would be cheaper.

Now, at first I thought I would have to build everything from scratch and while I could eventually teach myself how, I see that you sell completed parts, so it would probably make more sense to go that route given my deadline. However, it looks like completed parts are only available to members and vary in availability. I would gladly apply for membership, but can someone can indicate what is available at this point (considering the last newsletter was released in March) and what the total cost would roughly be?

If anyone has any other thoughts,recommendations, or questions feel free to share. I'm really looking forward to the possibility of taking on this project. Thank you.
Themartianist
"Fester, enough of the light-bulbs!"

Re: New to the site, where should I begin?

Postby Dave Moll » Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:14 am

Actually, the last newsletter was released in September (Vol. 39 no. 1).

For membership details, go to http://www.nbtv.org/ and select [membership]. Cost is currently £9.00 per year, which currently includes three or four newsletters, along with other membership benefits, such as those mentioned.
Dave Moll
Anyone have a spare straightjacket?

Postby Themartianist » Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:52 am

Thanks, I actually noticed the September newsletter after i made this post; it is mentioned in the forum, but on the homepage, the link to the newsletter takes you to the march edition. Anyway, I'll go ahead and apply for membership.

In the meantime, if any one has any thoughts about my plans or wants to give me a few words of advice, I would be delighted to read them. Thanks!
Themartianist
"Fester, enough of the light-bulbs!"

Postby Klaas Robers » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:06 pm

It is good that you mentioned this. I did not have time to put the announcement of Newsletter 39/1 on the website when I received it, and then I forgot it. But in the mean time it is there.

Thanks for the reminder.......
Klaas Robers
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Return to Mechanical NBTV