Does Alan shorts video tape still exist ?

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Does Alan shorts video tape still exist ?

Postby Harry Dalek » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:42 pm

Again reading old news letters ,one in 1993 i wondered if any one ever came across this and if the video still exists as i for one would like to see it .
Any ideas how to track it down ? ,Knowing how videos that are borrowed tend to stay borrowed i hope some one still has another copy, or its been put on dvd by now by some one .
Attachments
Screen 00097.jpg
Screen 00097.jpg (119.22 KiB) Viewed 10034 times
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Re: Does Alan shorts video tape still exist ?

Postby gary » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:50 pm

I was going to borrow that Harry, but then I thought it might go via Thailand and hence the "keep it no longer than a week" would be rather difficult to fulfil...

(although snail mail was probably more reliable in those days).
gary

Postby Harry Dalek » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:18 pm

gary wrote:I was going to borrow that Harry, but then I thought it might go via Thailand and hence the "keep it no longer than a week" would be rather difficult to fulfil...

(although snail mail was probably more reliable in those days).

Yes Gary i read of your bad luck with the newsletters ! i bet the tape is in the case of not returned .
Best case i recall you could get a tape to the uk in a week but to here it tended to take bit under 2 weeks ,these days the post must be dreadful for any thing the size of a video tape.
But you could use a mini sd card these days an improvement in postage costs, the thing could be posted in a letter, so things even out a little .
Any case i hope the video still exists !
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek

Postby gary » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:21 pm

Better still just made available as a digital file...
(for download)
gary

Postby Steve Anderson » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:15 am

Yep, even though we may bad-mouth the 'net sometimes it's gotta be better than snail mail even if your ISP goes down or goes slow for 24 hours - it happens.

Then who still has an operational PAL or multi-standard (VHS presumably) machine? I have one. Well, four years ago it was. Now the belts are probably rotten and the pinch roller is more than likely disintegrating. I wouldn't want to put any tape in it without trying something I don't mind being eaten first.

1993, hmm, I wonder what condition the original tape is? If it exists. One would hope that the version that traveled around from member to member was a copy.

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Postby gary » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:09 am

Alas, I must admit to having access to at least 3 operational VCRs...
gary

Postby Harry Dalek » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:35 pm

Gary i have to admit i have at least 1000 tapes first recorded on beta in 1980 i did have video 2000 in 79 but tapes cost between 30 and 40 dollars back then so that didn't last long .
There was no hint of an internet so i am not sure i would of bothered now with hindsight,i also have of cause Vhs and u matic .
I picked up a while back 2 professional super vhs machines for 20 dollars they must of cost a thousand or two when new just shows you how little we value the past .
So to answer Steve 1993 would be no problem for a video tape having them still on u matic working fine from the early 70s.

I agree in that a download would be much easier these days for Quick viewing ,and as we are on this side of the world we miss out on seeing all that great stuff shown at the conventions ,i don't know if its filmed or not as little ends up on the forum for us to see .

Perhaps thinking this tape from 93 has little value it looks to be forgotten i wish could be converted and posted up for posterity if any thing every little bit keeps NBTV alive.
Harry Dalek

Postby Panrock » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:18 am

If I remember correctly, Alan Short once demonstrated a (presumably tiny) 120-line picture using a Nipkow Disk!

Steve O
Panrock
Green padded cells are quite homely.

Postby Harry Dalek » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:43 pm

Panrock wrote:If I remember correctly, Alan Short once demonstrated a (presumably tiny) 120-line picture using a Nipkow Disk!

Steve O

I would believe it but i would love to see it ,I hope hes still with us and NBTVing ,i think he was still doing stuff in the 1990s .
Harry Dalek

Return to Mechanical NBTV