Question re: Club 12" Nipkow disc

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Question re: Club 12" Nipkow disc

Postby Jim Wood » Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:23 pm

Hi, group,

Although I read each issue of the Newsletter religiously, the technology of NBTV seems to be passing me by. In particular, there seem to be various mechanical items available now that weren't offered when I was more active in the group, thirty or more years ago.

The club now offers a variety of Nipkow discs, and the 12-inch one is of particular interest to me. Ready details are a bit sketchy, so I wonder if I could impose on one or more of you who has used this disc to volunteer opinions?

1) It seems that the drilling (or punching or burning or whatever) precision is quite good on these. Is that the general consensus?
2) Is the thickness of this disc such that additional 'fine-tuning' (countersinking) is not necessary to eliminate the 'tunnel effect' when used in a camera or viewer?
3) Is this disc likely to become damaged in transport? I would not think of having it mailed, but a friend is coming to the colonies in a couple of months, and if this were in his suitcase, would it travel well?

Creating a precision spiral of holes has been my NBTV downfall from the beginning. Bravo to whoever orchestrates the mass manufacture of these!

Jim Wood
California
Jim Wood
"Fester, enough of the light-bulbs!"

Re: Question re: Club 12" Nipkow disc

Postby Panrock » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:51 am

Jim, good to hear from you again. I have never used the club discs, but I have heard they are quite good. The larger ones certainly are - these are laser cut. Others may be along shortly with more direct experience.

Steve O
Panrock
Green padded cells are quite homely.

Postby gary » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:53 pm

Hi Jim, I am just wondering if you got my email reply to you re CNC and also about the club disk?
gary

Postby Don Tomkins » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:00 am

Jim,
I have had all of the various club discs sent out to me via airmail to Lancaster, Pennsylvania and all have arrived in perfect condition. Vic does a magnificent job of packing these to prevent damage particularly packing them to maintain flatness.
Don
Don Tomkins
"Fester, enough of the light-bulbs!"

Return to Mechanical NBTV