This year's trick

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Re: This year's trick

Postby Harry Dalek » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:26 pm

OK Steve now i know the reason for using water .

Is it going to have lid ? just in case an enthusiastic NBTVer knocks it at the convention :shock:
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby gary » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:37 pm

Harry Dalek wrote:OK Steve now i know the reason for using water .

Is it going to have lid ? just in case an enthusiastic NBTVer knocks it at the convention :shock:

...or gets caught short (we are a mature age lot), of course that may give it a period authentic hue...
gary

Postby Harry Dalek » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:50 pm

gary wrote:
...or gets caught short (we are a mature age lot), of course that may give it a period authentic hue...

oh yakes lets hope not we are all getting on and i hope they bring their glasses :lol:

I was thinking what other liquids might be used but not this one :shock:
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek

Postby gary » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:59 pm

Harry Dalek wrote:oh yakes lets hope not we are all getting on

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings Harry but that and taxes are the only certainties of which we know, but yes it is comforting to know that young blood is coming through, but, to quote Blade Runner, "It's a pity it won't last"... at least until the next generation.
gary

Postby Panrock » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:16 pm

gary wrote:
Harry Dalek wrote:Is it going to have lid ? just in case an enthusiastic NBTVer knocks it at the convention :shock:

Yes I know it's a long way to the Convention (particularly for you lot) but I already have that sussed. I have a bottle and pipe in the car. :shock:

Today I should at last get it all finished. I made up a mounting bracket and adjustable front magnifier last night.

Steve O
Panrock
Green padded cells are quite homely.

Postby gary » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:31 pm

Panrock wrote:I have a bottle and pipe in the car. :shock:

Love it Steve! ;-)

Panrock wrote:Today I should at last get it all finished. I made up a mounting bracket and adjustable front magnifier last night.
Steve O

I won't pre-empt how I think you are going to make it adjustable but I look forward to seeing your implementation, this is a really interesting "side project".
gary

Postby Panrock » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:45 pm

It's a cut-off magnifying glass on a slotted slider base. I'll post a picture of this with the rest but it looks like I won't be using this now... the subjective effect is clearer with less magnifcation, which will be provided by a weak rectangular lens that sits in the cylindrical lens bearer.

There's a colour test card going through it as I write. The new bracket clipping the assembly to the front of the 'Grosvenor' is very stable. No spills as yet!

Steve O
Panrock

Postby Steve Anderson » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:51 pm

These devices called a 'Little John' are still sold at gas/petrol stations here due to the notorious Bangkok traffic. They're also useful for light aircraft that don't have the facilities of airliners. There is a female version too...not sure if it's called a 'Little Jane'.

Steve A.
Attachments
LITTLEJOHN.jpg
LITTLEJOHN.jpg (6.66 KiB) Viewed 13818 times
Steve Anderson

Postby Panrock » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:56 am

After a day of experimenting, this demo of "peepshow television" has been finished. The Fairy Liquid bottle is used to administer the water! An .avi from my old digital camera is attached, complete with the usual frame bars and exposure problems - not helped by the girl wearing snow white but she does also include some good full-facials! (that'll make you click! :shock: ). The actual picture has better gradations than that shown here.

The final viewing arrangement used the original magnifying lens placed in the viewing tunnel behind the cylindrical corrector lens. This was found to give the clearest results along with no difference in the views between the two eyes. Harry's suggestion of a 'lid' has been taken on board. This is combined with a light shield to improve contrast.

Lastly, thanks again to Steve A for his PWM LED driver design and aperture correction circuit, now enjoying a new lease of life, and to Darryl (tubesrule) for his versatile World Converter. So far I've made good use of the following standards: 405, 240, 180, 120, 60... and now 30 lines (vertical).

Steve O
Attachments
7653.jpg
7653.jpg (101.63 KiB) Viewed 13804 times
7667.AVI
(3.38 MiB) Downloaded 565 times
Panrock

Postby Harry Dalek » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:16 pm

Looks good Steve , the monitor looks good wish i had it in me to complete something to that stage ,the case is the hard part for me :(
Now that s what colour television should be like mechanical .
I admire the fairy bottle ! i have a Secret .......it is i was born in Fairy Meadow don't tell any one ! :shock:
Harry Dalek

Postby Panrock » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:23 pm

Harry Dalek wrote:Looks good Steve , the monitor looks good wish i had it in me to complete something to that stage ,the case is the hard part for me :(

Yeah but it's an ugly looking thing innit? (No don't answer! :oops: )

I had a good viewing session last night. It will be cleared off the workshop bench this morning to make way for some real work. It's worrying how when I get the NBTV bug it obsesses me and everything else gets pushed aside.

Steve O
Panrock

Postby gary » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:26 pm

Panrock wrote: It's worrying how when I get the NBTV bug it obsesses me and everything else gets pushed aside.
Steve O

One may be excused for noting that you are NOT Robinson Crusoe...
gary

Postby AncientBrit » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:42 pm

Steve,

I like the inclusion of the voltmeter to the right of your bench,

Cheers,

Graham
AncientBrit

Postby Panrock » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:52 am

It's a moving iron meter Graham but accurate enough. The vertical block of 13A sockets is fed from a variable, isolated mains supply, max 8 amps, if I remember correctly from when I installed it back in 2003.

Steve O
Panrock

Postby Panrock » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:44 pm

The 2016 Convention now hoves into view. Again, in the spirit of NBTV laziness (and reduced energy due to Parkinson's) I need something that requires the minimum actual effort from me.

So I think it'll be to transmit 120-lines across the convention hall via an optical link, to the Argus. The necessary gear is already in stock.

Hope to see you there.

Steve O
Panrock

PreviousNext

Return to Mechanical NBTV