Cadbury's drum monitor

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Cadbury's drum monitor

Postby AncientBrit » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:45 pm

Cadbury's drum monitor

Issue 39/2 of the NBTVA newsletter contained my write-up of my drum monitor based on a redundant Cadbury's biscuit tin.
I've attached a few pix of the monitor in action.

The avi's of drum interior and exterior were shot on my 'phone, hence the slight camera shake.

The 3rd movie is the drum being braked by finger to show the action of the motor servo.
Although the line lock recovery is good what is not apparent is that initial lock can be in any frame phase, not just +/- 1 line as is usual.
I suspect that the large inertia of the drum and the belt gearing may be responsible for this.

This last avi was shot on a web camera which had the unusual property that frame rate depended on incident light.
By allowing a small controlled 'bleed' of sunlight to left of frame I was able to approach 12 fps and minimise rolling frame bars.
However this upset auto colour balance, hence the blue tinge to the displayed image.

Kind regards,

Graham
Attachments
Drum exterior.avi
Drum interior
(8.97 MiB) Downloaded 662 times
Drum interior.avi
Drum exterior
(6.55 MiB) Downloaded 576 times
Drum with finger braking.avi
Drum with finger breaking
(5.11 MiB) Downloaded 640 times
Drum interior 1.jpg
Drum interior 1
(1.19 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Drum rear.jpg
Drum rear
(1.45 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Drum interior 2.jpg
Drum interior 2
(1.04 MiB) Not downloaded yet
AncientBrit
Green padded cells are quite homely.

Re: Cadbury's drum monitor

Postby gary » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:53 am

Thanks for that Graham - great work as usual. The rock solid line lock is very impressive.
gary

Postby Harry Dalek » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:50 pm

Yes very nice monitor Graham ! i like the use of the old floppy drive,now thats one thing i don't have the old 5 inch ones are very rare now .

It was good seeing it in the newsletter i was wondering if you had finished it i recall you saying a while back you were busy with it.

Thanks for posting the video and pictures very inspirational seeing it work , well balanced drum i know that not easy to do sitting on the side ! .
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby Panrock » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:25 pm

Impressive work as ever Graham. The ability to adapt everyday objects for NBTV use seems to be an essential part of our hobby. Maybe see you at the Convention this year?

Steve O
Panrock

Postby AncientBrit » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:02 pm

Hi gents,

Thanks for the kind feedback.

Not sure if I'll make the Convention, family commitments etc.

Cheers,

Graham
AncientBrit

Postby Harry Dalek » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:36 pm

I notice the pictures are saying not yet downloaded but i have and i am sure others have mmmm wonder why .
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek

Postby gary » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:41 pm

Harry Dalek wrote:I notice the pictures are saying not yet downloaded but i have and i am sure others have mmmm wonder why .

Sorry Harry I don't quite get you - are you saying you can't download the pictures (jpgs)? I have them downloaded and can send them to you if needs be.
gary

Postby Steve Anderson » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:53 pm

Harry's correct, I've noticed this. A jpg/gif etc shows how many have viewed the file, but if it requires a download it doesn't seem to update the 'Number of downloads' field. No big deal as long as people can download it I guess, a bug probably.

Although in this case it seems the other way around...

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Postby gary » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:00 pm

Steve Anderson wrote:Harry's correct, I've noticed this. A jpg/gif etc shows how many have viewed the file, but if it requires a download it doesn't seem to update the 'Number of downloads' field. No big deal as long as people can download it I guess, a bug probably.

Although in this case it seems the other way around...

Steve A.

Aaah, It wasn't obvious to me that that was what he meant, however I both viewed (first) and (then) downloaded so, strange.
gary

Postby Harry Dalek » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:11 pm

I just wanted Graham to know that i think people are interested in hes monitor just not showing up in the photo down loads .

I am gad he posted them much easier to see the details and we get to see it work in a video . :)
Harry Dalek

Postby gary » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:25 pm

Aaaah a very meritorious sentiment Harry, and I am very glad he posted them as well.
gary

Postby dominicbeesley » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:43 am

That looks very good - how did you drill the tin. I tried something similar a while back but my line registration was very poor!

D
dominicbeesley
Anyone have a spare straightjacket?

Postby AncientBrit » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:41 pm

Hi Dom,

The main scanning holes are punched in a strip of thin black card.

I made a punch using a base board and a lead screw to advance the punch head.
The head uses a ground down sewing needle of just over 0.5 mm diameter.

The strip of card is supported on the surface of the biscuit tin which is punched below with an oversized holes of around 3mm diameter to allow fine positioning of the scanning strip.
The strip is held to the surface using pieces of tape.
(Not very permanent I know)
Surprisingly you can 'cheat' the line spacing by pulling the strip left or right using the tape.
Remember we are talking of very small distances here.

Ideally each hole would be provide with X and Y adjustments.
I couldn't think of a lightweight but accurate way of providing this.

The oversized holes were achieved by initially laying on the drum another punched strip and spot marking through with a bradawl.
The steel was thin enough to allow the hole to be achieved by pushing the tapered bradawl through the surface and continuing until the approx diameter of 3mm was achieved.
The interior of the drum was supported on a block of wood next to the hole so distortion was minimised.
I removed most of the jagged edges with a hand held 10mm diameter drill bit used as a crude countersink.

(Perhaps I should write up this part of the project as well)

Harry, thanks for the feedback on 'head count' of those viewing the images.

Kind regards,

Graham
Attachments
Interior of drum and relieved holes.jpg
Interior of drum
Interior of drum and relieved holes.jpg (71.45 KiB) Viewed 17809 times
AncientBrit

Postby Harry Dalek » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:01 pm

Hi Graham ,i was thinking you had used a template on the flat to do drums scanning holes but didn't think of using large holes in the tin drum after ,thats a good idea i will pinch that idea if i ever get around to something similar and the rotating mirrors don't do me in first :wink:

Yes a lot of the ideas you used are well worth writing up here or the newsletter .
Harry Dalek

Postby AncientBrit » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:31 pm

Thanks Harry.

When I have time I'll write up the hole punch apparatus.

Cheers,

Graham
AncientBrit

Next

Return to Mechanical NBTV