The Innovative Man, Henry Sutton, Australian Inventor

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

The Innovative Man, Henry Sutton, Australian Inventor

Postby Andrew Davie » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:05 pm

Quite a few years ago I corresponded with a lady who was researching Henry Sutton's contribution to mechanical television and other inventions in the latter part of the 19th century. Her intention was to write a book about this little-known Australian pioneer.

She writes...

"It has been quite a while but after many years and a trip to England to research Henry the book is finally done, Robyn Williams from the ABC Science Show is very excited about what I have written and is writing the introduction to my book . I have given you a mention in the Acknowledgements as your help in understanding mechanical television was invaluable. I have uncovered so much about Henry it is all rather flabbergasting, the stories behind each invention are sometimes more interesting than the invention itself. I have uncovered so many of Henry's letters, patents and papers that I let them tell a lot of the information and I filled in the background and history etc."

As the book is now finished, the author is now looking for a publisher. I expect this will be really quite interesting, and as Henry has a claim to early mechanical television designs, I would be very excited to see this book published. If you can help out, please contact me and I'll put you in touch.

Cheers
A
Andrew Davie
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Re: The Innovative Man, Henry Sutton, Australian Inventor

Postby Lidepollwer » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:23 pm

It’s really great post.
Lidepollwer
"Fester, enough of the light-bulbs!"

Return to Mechanical NBTV