128 lines on audio tape

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

128 lines on audio tape

Postby Harry Dalek » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:43 pm

I was thinking this might have been Gary as i think Gary has a version of video2nbtv that can convert a video or photo to higher line rates 60 120 ?

Came acoss this 128 line on audio tape not sure what he is using to make it and view it back from the tape recording but its interesting .

64 line on tape

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlXuqVd3m4s

128 line on audio tape

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kwWmaLkLVk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-5LRUAsLqQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfmY-t-C5Ow
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Re: 128 lines on audio tape

Postby gary » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:49 am

I am always willing to accept credit, especially when it isn't due ;-), but in this instance I can't make a case for any involvement whatsoever.

As far as I am aware I have never added 64/128 (60/120 yes) line format to my software.
gary

Postby Harry Dalek » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:53 pm

gary wrote:I am always willing to accept credit, especially when it isn't due ;-), but in this instance I can't make a case for any involvement whatsoever.

As far as I am aware I have never added 64/128 (60/120 yes) line format to my software.

Hi Gary i found this while i was looking for your software that does the 120 line and i lost it i have a few versions of the first 2 the second looks to me to just do up to 60 line is there any where i can down load the 120 again as i don't see it on your web site ?

I only really know of you and Dominic that can write software to do this so i was surprised there was another out there ..i was wondering why he was trying this on tape,might ask ! it was nice to see its sort of possible but would also have been interesting to see how a direct analog signal looks at its best cutting out the tape recording and play back part.
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek

Postby gary » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:51 pm

Harry, there are lots of people who write NBTV type software (not necessarily NBTVA compatible though).

The version 3 of Video2NBTV software available on my website provides 120 line frame sequential colour.

(you can't miss it - it has a big flashing arrow next to it)
gary

Postby Harry Dalek » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:16 pm

Thanks Gary I will put my glasses on this time !
Harry Dalek

Postby Kargaroc586 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:40 am

Helloooo! I am the author of the software linked to in OP's post! Kinda didn't expect it to get posted here! Thanks! :)

The versions used to make the videos above are quite old and buggy, and I've updated the software quite a bit since then.
It's still not working exactly the way I want (I don't really know a decent way to implement line sync), but it's working better. Less CPU usage, and less race conditions :wink:

In the mean time I've been experimenting with video that only has a frame sync pulse. It works surprisingly nicely, keeping the video centered, and you get to use all 128 lines (except the beginning of the first line) for video. It doesn't work well for tape playback though because of timing variations caused by the tape player. I can't really test it with anything else though. :(

If you really want my player, you can have it here
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16672629/Files/PyNBTV-New.py
This is the latest version that I have. It's configured for frame-sync only playback right now.
Not really NBTVA compatible, as I'm not terribly interested in 32 lines. Doubtlessly it could be made compatible if I spent enough time with it.

Note: this needs Python 2.7, Pygame, and Pyaudio or it won't run.

I make videos for this thing with Virtualdub. I resize to 128x128, make it grayscale, change the minimum brightness level to 64, add a 8x1px black line to the top left corner, convert the fps to 11.71875 (192000 / 128*128), and export as raw 0-255 top-down grayscale video. Then, import the result file into any audio editor as 192khz 8bit unsigned PCM, and there you go. Bit of a mouthful, should probably make a virtualdub processing settings file for this.

The player works much like the old NBTVA CD viewer program from a while back, in that it uses the audio input (stereo mix/what U hear) of your computer as the input. Make sure it's set to 192khz or you won't get the full detail.
Last edited by Kargaroc586 on Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kargaroc586
"Fester, enough of the light-bulbs!"

Postby Harry Dalek » Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:20 pm

Kargaroc586 wrote:Helloooo! I am the author of the software linked to in OP's post! Kinda didn't expect it to get posted here! Thanks! :)

OH thank you for posting here ! i we can ask questions !

As i mentioned i was looking for Garys software and your you tube videos came up in the search ,i was thinking this is pretty good i suppose you have a bit of a record for line rate software.

The versions used to make the videos above are quite old and buggy, and I've updated the software quite a bit since then.
It's still not working exactly the way I want (I don't really know a decent way to implement line sync), but it's working better. Less CPU usage, and less race conditions :wink:

Well Gary would be better to pick your brain than me but is it wndows software ? since i know bugger all about programing its all magic to me :wink:

Are you using the computer for play back of the video ?

In the mean time I've been experimenting with video that only has a frame sync pulse. It works surprisingly nicely, keeping the video centered, and you get to use all 128 lines (except the beginning of the first line) for video. It doesn't work well for tape playback though because of timing variations caused by the tape player. I can't really test it with anything else though. :(

I suppose an electronic system this is easier ,is there a reason apart from trying it out why you didn't use a line sync instead .
wondering why you tried a tape to record and play back ,have you tried it on a vcr just using its audio the record and play back those would be of a higher quality recording speed .... might be better ,i wanted to see the best case since i don't think you have a a 128 line monitor ? and your using the computer for play back really it would have to be computer to computer or some other contemporary recording play back in analog device .

If you really want my player, you can have it here
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16672629/Files/PyNBTV-New.py
This is the latest version that I have. It's configured for frame-sync only playback right now.
Not really NBTVA compatible, as I'm not terribly interested in 32 lines. Doubtlessly it could be made compatible if I spent enough time with it.

Well NBTVA may be but NBTV or LDTV ...NBTV isn't just 32 line i am not sure where this stops but i would say if it fits on the audio bandwidth you could call it this i suppose others might say any thing below 100 lines ? fussy fussy /
This might sound stupid how do you use this code for your player i am code illiterate....

I make videos for this thing with Virtualdub. I resize to 128x128, make it grayscale, change the minimum brightness level to 64, add a 8x1px black line to the top left corner, convert the fps to 11.71875 (192000 / 128*128), and export as raw 0-255 top-down grayscale video. Then, import the result file into any audio editor as 192khz 8bit unsigned PCM, and there you go. Bit of a mouthful, should probably make a virtualdub processing settings file for this.

mmmmmm i will have to research this :shock:

The player works much like the old NBTVA CD viewer program from a while back, in that it uses the audio input (stereo mix/what U hear) of your computer as the input. Make sure it's set to 192khz or you won't get the full detail.

Could you post a wav file or what ever audio file format it uses for us to test ?
Harry Dalek

Return to Mechanical NBTV