Fresh challenges?

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Postby AncientBrit » Mon May 21, 2007 10:42 pm

Thanks guys, plenty of ideas to run with there.

Stephen : The electrical discharge circuit might prove problematic. I would think the ozone produced would be a bit of a health hazard in this age of Health and Safety.

Dr Z : Your display device is in fact in use on buses here in the UK. The destination board is made up of a matrix of small 5mm discs which are painted fluorescent yellow to one side, the reverse being black.

I'm not sure of the mechanism which is used to flip them over but it seems to be a left to right movement across all columns together.

Kind regards,

GL
AncientBrit
Green padded cells are quite homely.

Postby AncientBrit » Mon May 21, 2007 10:43 pm

Thanks guys, plenty of ideas to run with there.

Stephen : The electrical discharge circuit might prove problematic. I would think the ozone produced would be a bit of a health hazard in this age of Health and Safety.

Dr Z : Your display device is in fact in use on buses here in the UK. The destination board is made up of a matrix of small 5mm discs which are painted fluorescent yellow to one side, the reverse being black.

I'm not sure of the mechanism which is used to flip them over but it seems to be a left to right movement across all columns together.

Kind regards,

GL
AncientBrit
Green padded cells are quite homely.

Still another challenge.

Postby Stephen » Tue May 22, 2007 12:08 am

John Logie Baird proposed a three dimensional television system that is completely different than the conventional left/right image stereoscopic type. It is a "volumetric" system wherein the camera generates an intensity or "density" signal and a distance or "displacement signal". The volumetric display processes these two signals to generate a three dimensional image without the use of special glasses. See British Patent 373,196, filed 18 February 1931, in the "Patents and Articles" section of the forum.

Although Mr. Baird gives a specific example of a flying spot type camera for generating the two signals, it would be possible to use a standard reflective light camera. In this case, the camera would send out a flying spot IR beam synchronised with the visual scanning system and a couple of flanking IR distance or displacement detection systems instead of visible light ones as shown in Figure 1. This would be sort of a video version of the IR rangefinder systems on ordinary cameras.

The volumetric display could be an LED version of the neon light display shown in Figures 2 and 3. A better solution might be to use a stack of my edge lit transparent scanning discs as described in http://www.taswegian.com/NBTV/images/TOSE.pdf .
Stephen
Stephen
Anyone have a spare straightjacket?

Previous

Return to Mechanical NBTV