Newsletter back-issues

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Newsletter back-issues

Postby Andrew Davie » Fri May 18, 2007 3:55 pm

Does a complete record of the newsletters exist?

I imagine there is some very interesting information in the back issues. If these were available in scanned form on, say, a CD... I would be interested in purchasing.

My question is -- do any readers have a complete set, or know of how to go about obtaining one at reasonable cost?
Andrew Davie
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby Klaas Robers » Sat May 19, 2007 6:22 am

Andrew, I have an almost complete set Newsletter. Only the first few issues are only in a survey form, newly typed and the redone, with the articles of short time interest not included.

However, I am not going to scan them. Takes me far too much time.
Klaas Robers
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby DrZarkov » Sat May 19, 2007 7:32 am

While it is a bank holiday in Germany at 28th of May, my wife has to work at "Pingsteren maandag" (She works in Venlo, awaiting all the Duitsers...) . That's not enough time for me to scan everything, but for example the past 5 years or so. Maybe you can send them to me, or I come to Valkenswaard next week (did they start working at the A 67 by now, or is it still possible to reach you?) and scan them here and send them back to you. The next dutch post office is about 2 km from here, so it's not expensive or difficult for me.
DrZarkov
I think I've had a cranial implosion.

Scanning the newsletter.

Postby Steve Anderson » Sat May 19, 2007 1:40 pm

I have scanned those copies that I have (about 3 years worth) just as a back-up if I should lose the printed version.

If serious consideration is being given to this I think it's only fair to contact the Editor (Doug Pitt I believe) and seek permission as the newsletter is copyrighted on the front cover.

Steve A.
Steve Anderson
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Re: Scanning the newsletter.

Postby Andrew Davie » Sat May 19, 2007 2:59 pm

Steve Anderson wrote:If serious consideration is being given to this I think it's only fair to contact the Editor (Doug Pitt I believe) and seek permission as the newsletter is copyrighted on the front cover.

Steve A.

I would encourage the NBTVA to put out a CD with the scanned newsletters, and buy that CD -- or purchase back issues from others. My question was aimed at determining IF a complete set of newsletters still existed.

Cheers
A
Andrew Davie
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby Klaas Robers » Sun May 20, 2007 3:11 am

Volker, I don't like the News Letters to leave my home. I lost already too many books and paperwork.

But I remembered that modern copy machines are a scanner and a printer in one. I should see if the copier of my work can give out the scanned files. Scanning the News Letters on such a scanner is much less work than on my flat bed scanner.

Then still I need to remove the staples from the individual News Letters before scanning, but they can be replaced, if I want to do that.

A much better idea would be to ask Jeremy Jago to scan the originals. I think that there is a lot of quality loss in the copying or printing in the way they are produced now. This might also give a much better reproduction of the photographs. Who is asking Jeremy? (jeremy@nbtv.org)
Klaas Robers
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Newsletter scans

Postby Steve Anderson » Sun May 20, 2007 1:32 pm

Andrew, I have an almost complete set Newsletter.

Andrew, so it would appear that there is an 'almost' complete set. The only problem I foresee is that a scan generates quite a large file. Of the ones I have scanned they come out at about 30 megabyte per issue, done at a resolution of 300dpi, greyscale and then 'zipped'. So 25 years worth would require around 3 gigabytes, 4-5 CDs or one DVD.

When I used to send items for publication I sent them in Word format and the pictures/drawings seperately. My assumtion being that in recent years the newsletter has been compiled in some electronic format. These original files should be a lot smaller, although that won't help with the earlier issues.

I don't like the News Letters to leave my home. I lost already too many books and paperwork.

I know that problem all too well! You lend a book to a friend, then they lend it to someone else and so on. You end up losing it altogether. Now I don't lend them out at all. "Go buy it yourself." is my usual response. Anti-social, maybe, but when I think of some of the valuable texts I've lost over the years...I feel my attitude is justified.

Steve A.

P.S. By 'valuable', I don't mean in a fiscal sense, but the content.
Steve Anderson
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby DrZarkov » Sun May 20, 2007 4:43 pm

@Klaas: I can understand it very good not give such documents out of the house, I would not like it either.

To make the ducuments much smaller it is a good idea to make PDF documents from it. A free possibility for that is "Open Office Org", which can safe a document as PDF. But I don't understand why those files are so large. I've sent the content of an entire book (140 pages), text in word-format, 92 pictures in Tiff, high resolution on a single CD-rom to the publisher. I've got back a copy of the book as a PDF of about 30 Mb. The German computer magazin "c't" (every two weeks, about 400 pages each) you can buy at the end of a year on a single DVD, all 26 issues.
DrZarkov
I think I've had a cranial implosion.

Return to Mechanical NBTV