NBTV Television Project Help

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

NBTV Television Project Help

Postby reshiram202 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:32 pm

Alright, let me get the introduction out of the way. I am new to this forum. My name Jimmy and I am 13. I want to have a career in electrical engineering and technology when I am older. I have been interested in TV history for quite sometime now so I decided I want to build my own. I want to build a 60 to 90 line disk to get the ball rolling. Any suggestions for starting out? Thank you.
-Jimbles
reshiram202
Research Scientist

Re: NBTV Television Project Help

Postby Steve Anderson » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:40 pm

Hi Jimmy and welcome to the forum.

Quite an ambitious start at 60-90 lines. I would suggest starting out with a 30/32-line version first, you can always change the disc in the future. The reasons I suggest this is there's less precision required with fewer lines and there's a large amount of material around to play back and view.

There are some here who do have the ability to generate 60-line NBTV files but you'll have to ask them to do it for you...unless you already have some existing material.

I wish you all the best with this and I hope others will jump in and help when you need it. Good luck!

Steve A.
Steve Anderson
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby dominicbeesley » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:16 am

If you want to do 60 or 64 line then drop me a line. The latest (unreleased) version of my software http://authorityfile.co.uk/NBSC/downloads/Default.aspx will do those.

D
dominicbeesley
Anyone have a spare straightjacket?

Postby Klaas Robers » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:30 am

Jimmy
I agree with Steve. Building a 32-line disc televisor is already a job in which you have to find all kind of ad hoc solutions for the problems that you encounter. This gives you experience when you are still willing to make a 60 line (or 74 line) or 90 line (96 lines?) disc monitor. One of the problems is that with more lines, the picture is getting smaller, the holes in the disc smaller and the amount of light that comes through also smaller. And with 32 lines this is already so little (0,1%).

Also making a camera and monitor at the same time makes everything more complicated. The advice of Steve to start with a CD with existing "video" is a good one, then the problems in the non existing camera are at least solved. And you know: "This is the kind of video signal that I have to expect. My own will alway be worse."

I wish you good luck. You will need it.
Klaas Robers
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby Lowtone » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:56 pm

Ahah now i'm not the youngest here anymore :mrgreen:
When i had your age i remind writing an article in the shcool's newspaper, about the History of television ( with a pic of a televisor ! )

Welcome here, and best wishes for your projects
r a d i o P T T v i s i o n
Lowtone
Just nod and pretend you understand me

Postby reshiram202 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:27 pm

Steve Anderson wrote:Hi Jimmy and welcome to the forum.

Quite an ambitious start at 60-90 lines. I would suggest starting out with a 30/32-line version first, you can always change the disc in the future. The reasons I suggest this is there's less precision required with fewer lines and there's a large amount of material around to play back and view.

There are some here who do have the ability to generate 60-line NBTV files but you'll have to ask them to do it for you...unless you already have some existing material.

I wish you all the best with this and I hope others will jump in and help when you need it. Good luck!

Steve A.

Yeah I decided to do that just because it was easier. Making the disk out of some cardboard (about 14 inches). Hopefully I can get a good picture. But I'm not counting on it XD.
-Jimbles
reshiram202
Research Scientist

Postby reshiram202 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:44 pm

Steve Anderson wrote:Quite an ambitious start at 60-90 lines. I would suggest starting out with a 30/32-line version first, you can always change the disc in the future. The reasons I suggest this is there's less precision required with fewer lines and there's a large amount of material around to play back and view.

Yeah I decided to go with 32 just because of the amount of content created for it. Wish I could use a standard RCA video cable instead of audio files. Would be awesome to play tetris on mechanical tv.
-Jimbles
reshiram202
Research Scientist

Postby Steve Anderson » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:21 pm

reshiram202 wrote:Wish I could use a standard RCA video cable instead of audio files.

What are you thinking of when you say, "standard RCA video cable"? A cable is just that, a cable, nothing to do with the signal it may be carrying. A pipe may convey water, petrol, tomato sauce or sewage. Same idea.

Steve A.
Steve Anderson

Postby Klaas Robers » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:50 pm

Jimmy, go to http://www.nbtv.wyenet.co.uk/MUTR-disc/ and you will find a way to download NBTV video files, play them from your computer, and / or "burn" a CD with them. This is the cheapest way to get standard 32 line video signals (L). And with sound on the other stereo channel (R).

It is indeed possible to make a Nipkow disc using cardboard. The bakery will have nice cardboard discs, they use them to sell pies on. If you tell them what you are going to do they will donate you a few discs with pleasure. These are perfectly round and about 30 cm in diametre. Ask for the largest they have.

On the web you may find small programs that calculate for you an outline of a Nipkow disc. Then you can print this on your printer, fix that on the cardboard disc and carefully pinch the holes with a fine needle. The holes should not be larger than 0.7 mm. That is very thin, so the position should be very precise.

Good luck.

Added later: Do NOT buy that MUTR televisor. Try first how good your own skills are. From buying the MUTR-kit you learn nothing .... eh, at least very little.
Klaas Robers
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby reshiram202 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:46 pm

What I mean by RCA cable is the yellow video cable. That way I can input a vhs unit or a game console. Audio seems to be the easiest for me so I will try that first.
-Jimbles
reshiram202
Research Scientist

Postby reshiram202 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:47 pm

Also, I just got done making the disc. It is small but capable. But the holes are bigger than 0.7mm so I am wondering if it will still work. Now I am searching for a motor and speed control for synchronization.
-Jimbles
reshiram202
Research Scientist

Postby McGee2021 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:15 pm

Hello reshiram202, i am also 13, and plan to build another televisor. i have been tinkering with electronics since i was 5! I have bought and used multiple disk from the club shop, which one day you will hopefully use to make the best televisor to your abilities. I have just joined in august and have already built a camera and a receiver. Next project, lens disk. I have also found that the club shop includes many resources, including books about the subject. if you ever get a hold of one, read it thoroughly! I have also built devices such as tesla coils, an x ray transmitter (experimental) and a microwave transmitter.
Fun times, ain't it?
McGee2021
Just nod and pretend you understand me

Postby reshiram202 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:36 pm

You might think of me as crazy, but I have no intention of using repro disks. If I want to design anything electronic, I will never use a kit. I did consider the MUTR kit but the videos on it made me think otherwise. I will post a picture of my disk sometime.

5 years old??? Wow. I got into electronics when I was about 10! What did your first televisor look like?
-Jimbles
reshiram202
Research Scientist

Postby reshiram202 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:50 pm

Here is my scanning disk made out of cardboard. Is it good? Is it bad? I don't know. I reeaally don't want to restart but if I really need to I will.
Attachments
20151120_234622.jpg
(2.46 MiB) Not downloaded yet
-Jimbles
reshiram202
Research Scientist

Postby Harry Dalek » Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:18 pm

reshiram202 wrote:Here is my scanning disk made out of cardboard. Is it good? Is it bad? I don't know. I reeaally don't want to restart but if I really need to I will.

I would say the holes are very large so you would have very thick short lines the thickness of the cardboard is a problem too .if you have a look at your start and end holes thats the distance of all the lines together that makes your raster you might not be able to make out much detail with the holes large for this size of nipkow.

Great drilling but very neat for the size hole for sure ! the disk should be thin and strong and not wobble ...since i can see your a good at drilling holes perhaps an old record is always a easy nipkow ..be careful but a large thick big type pin in a drill will make a hole about the right size ,,the spinning of it in the drill will cause heat and make a hole in the plastic after its cool you can pick away any plastic around it left and make sure the holes are all clear .

After all that you have the next problem mount the record on a DC motor or use a pulley system and mount it on say a video head or what ever you can come up with ...Good luck
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek

Next

Return to Mechanical NBTV