Lens disk projection help

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Lens disk projection help

Postby McGee2021 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:18 pm

I was wondering the other day about making the lens disk receiver. since there are no lens disk anywhere around me, and seeing at the time i don't have the funds to make even a simple one, would there be another way, maybe fresnel lens?
Fun times, ain't it?
McGee2021
Just nod and pretend you understand me

Re: Lens disk projection help

Postby gary » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:49 pm

McGee2021 wrote:I was wondering the other day about making the lens disk receiver. since there are no lens disk anywhere around me, and seeing at the time i don't have the funds to make even a simple one, would there be another way, maybe fresnel lens?

I achieved a pretty reasonable projected raster with my 1/4" optical ball bead disk (for an FSS camera) - so technically it is possible to produce a projected image IF you can modulate what needs to be a very bright source of light - for the FSS I only needed and unmodulated light source being the lamp of an old projector - but it may be possible to achieve similar results these days with a super powerful LED. You would need a powerful light source using whatever lens system you choose.

The cost of such a disk would be less than $10 - but the cost of the light source and the modulating electronics could be out of your range.

I like to think that Baird would have used optical quality balls if had had access to them ;-)

You do need a projecting lens as well of course (most economically salvaged from an old projector).
gary

Postby McGee2021 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:00 am

gary wrote:
McGee2021 wrote:I was wondering the other day about making the lens disk receiver. since there are no lens disk anywhere around me, and seeing at the time i don't have the funds to make even a simple one, would there be another way, maybe fresnel lens?

I achieved a pretty reasonable projected raster with my 1/4" optical ball bead disk (for an FSS camera) - so technically it is possible to produce a projected image IF you can modulate what needs to be a very bright source of light - for the FSS I only needed and unmodulated light source being the lamp of an old projector - but it may be possible to achieve similar results these days with a super powerful LED. You would need a powerful light source using whatever lens system you choose.

The cost of such a disk would be less than $10 - but the cost of the light source and the modulating electronics could be out of your range.

I like to think that Baird would have used optical quality balls if had had access to them ;-)

You do need a projecting lens as well of course (most economically salvaged from an old projector).

I already have the light source, a 1000 watt lamp that I aquiered from a friend who worked in the lighthouse buisines. I have been tinkering and have managers to make a centrally located beam, so I imagine I could project on a screen at minimum. I also have found some spare parts and have found a way to modulate it. The lamp was strangly a cold cathode lamp, but it is extremely bright.
Fun times, ain't it?
McGee2021

Postby gary » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:19 am

Well that sounds interesting.

As long as you are able to precisely locate the holes then, as I say, for ~$10 a bead disk is worth experimenting with - it it doesn't work as a projector at least I can confirm it works as a flying spot scanner which is a fun project indeed.
gary

Postby McGee2021 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:56 am

After all, for every tv i build, i build a camera to match it.
Fun times, ain't it?
McGee2021

Return to Mechanical NBTV