Light Source

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Steve Anderson, Dave Moll, Andrew Davie

Re: Light Source

Postby Ralph » Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:42 am

Pre-wired white, 12-LED clusters are available from Hobby King:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... HITE_.html

That said, unless you "build" exclusively in software, it will be extremely difficult to construct any kind of NBTV equipment if you lack basic soldering skills. I can confidently state that no one on the Forum was born with the ability to solder. A quick search on the Internet should unearth numerous tutorials and a bit of practice with bits of wire or simple kits should yield results. The keys to success include a quality soldering iron designed for electronic work and developing an "eye" for the appearance of a properly soldered joint.

Ralph
Ralph
Evil Genius

Postby Brigham » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:35 am

These mains-operated LED bulbs, the 'direct replacement' type, need looking into. They surely can't be series-strung to 230-ish volts.
I would expect to find a dropper in the cap, just like neon glowlamps.
There's no reason why huge street-lighting LED arrays can't be modulated, if you can supply the power. (Or sodium discharge types, for that matter.)
Has anyone tried?
Brigham
"Fester, enough of the light-bulbs!"

Postby M3DVQ » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:00 pm

Cheap LED lamps use capacitive droppers or sometimes a small switch mode supply like the compact fluorescents.

I'm not sure about these "LED filament" types. Each "filament" does have a series string of chips if I recall correctly but I'm not sure how the filaments are wired together.
M3DVQ
Just nod and pretend you understand me

Postby McGee2021 » Tue May 31, 2016 2:10 pm

Has anybody tried the 'festoon' type vehicle interior led bulbs? I was on a walk and found a small box of 10 on the side of the highway, tested them out, and they all worked. Strange. They were about the size of a televisors picture, so I started to think...
John Logie Baird was obviously the man who sowed the seeds but did not reap the harvest.
McGee2021
Just nod and pretend you understand me

Previous

Return to Mechanical NBTV