Light Source

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Re: Light Source

Postby Ralph » Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:42 am

Pre-wired white, 12-LED clusters are available from Hobby King:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... HITE_.html

That said, unless you "build" exclusively in software, it will be extremely difficult to construct any kind of NBTV equipment if you lack basic soldering skills. I can confidently state that no one on the Forum was born with the ability to solder. A quick search on the Internet should unearth numerous tutorials and a bit of practice with bits of wire or simple kits should yield results. The keys to success include a quality soldering iron designed for electronic work and developing an "eye" for the appearance of a properly soldered joint.

Ralph
Ralph
Evil Genius

Postby Brigham » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:35 am

These mains-operated LED bulbs, the 'direct replacement' type, need looking into. They surely can't be series-strung to 230-ish volts.
I would expect to find a dropper in the cap, just like neon glowlamps.
There's no reason why huge street-lighting LED arrays can't be modulated, if you can supply the power. (Or sodium discharge types, for that matter.)
Has anyone tried?
Brigham
"Fester, enough of the light-bulbs!"

Postby M3DVQ » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:00 pm

Cheap LED lamps use capacitive droppers or sometimes a small switch mode supply like the compact fluorescents.

I'm not sure about these "LED filament" types. Each "filament" does have a series string of chips if I recall correctly but I'm not sure how the filaments are wired together.
M3DVQ
Just nod and pretend you understand me

Postby McGee2021 » Tue May 31, 2016 2:10 pm

Has anybody tried the 'festoon' type vehicle interior led bulbs? I was on a walk and found a small box of 10 on the side of the highway, tested them out, and they all worked. Strange. They were about the size of a televisors picture, so I started to think...
Fun times, ain't it?
McGee2021
Just nod and pretend you understand me

Previous

Return to Mechanical NBTV