Corona Discharge Display

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Corona Discharge Display

Postby McGee2021 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:53 am

Has any body thought of using corona for modern NBTV? i saw a book about corona discharge used to create images, but a separate mechanism for television images. I have a fax machine (western union desk fax) that uses corona for image reproduction. I wondered if you could produce television images with corona? that got me thinkng, and i created a concept using an original corona discharge circuit by Rayphoto. Sorry for the bad sketch :mrgreen:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1OL_9-W-pbsTLoF0Icw-T0GpMIVTPmCesXQ

http://www.earlytelevision.org/pdf/rayphoto.pdf Page 10
Fun times, ain't it?
McGee2021
Just nod and pretend you understand me

Re: Corona Discharge Display

Postby gary » Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:01 am

McGee2021 wrote:i saw a book about corona discharge used to create images, but a separate mechanism for television images

Isn't the last diagram on page 12 a corona discharge television receiver? The first diagram on page 15 being the scanner disk itself?

That's an interesting "catalogue" - I wish those parts were available now - at the same price. ;-)

That system could be described as a true "fire wheel*" and should produce very bright images.

* Newsletter 21-1
gary

Postby McGee2021 » Sun May 01, 2016 1:48 am

The only problem im having so far is finding the values of the transformers. The sync circuit is pretty similar to Hollis Baird's. I wonder if you could use a musical tesla coil for the corona generator? Also, Does any body know of any transistor equivalents for the tubes? ive been trying to match ube of various types to modern transistor equivalents. Another problem would be setting the ire into the disc. The fire wheel seems pretty similar to an led fan display.
Fun times, ain't it?
McGee2021
Just nod and pretend you understand me

Postby Harry Dalek » Sun May 01, 2016 3:44 pm

I was thinking about this many moons ago
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1174&hilit=Corona

Yes there is the problem of fire with sparking perhaps a better idea than the original would be to spark inside a small glass jar,The Singing telsla crossed my mind as well but i never got around to trying it .
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Return to Mechanical NBTV