LED-stripes for drum televisor

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Steve Anderson, Dave Moll, Andrew Davie

LED-stripes for drum televisor

Postby DrZarkov » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:34 am

Today I found at a discounter (Kodi) here in Germany these LED-stripes: 30 LEDs, length in total 1 meter. It runs on batteries, 4.5 V. Price: Only 3.95 Euro! Seems to be good for constructing a drum-monitor, the light should be bright enough to project the picture. I'm thinking about making a 30 line televisor for the German DRP-norm of it.

LED-strips.jpg
LED-strips.jpg (81.16 KiB) Viewed 3291 times
DrZarkov
I think I've had a cranial implosion.

Re: LED-stripes for drum televisor

Postby Harry Dalek » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:26 am

DrZarkov wrote:Today I found at a discounter (Kodi) here in Germany these LED-stripes: 30 LEDs, length in total 1 meter. It runs on batteries, 4.5 V. Price: Only 3.95 Euro! Seems to be good for constructing a drum-monitor, the light should be bright enough to project the picture. I'm thinking about making a 30 line televisor for the German DRP-norm of it.

LED-strips.jpg

They look good are you thinking of a rotary transformer idea to transmit the signal voltage to the leds ?
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby Panrock » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:17 pm

What is this "rotary transformer"? Please tell me more.

Steve O
Panrock
Green padded cells are quite homely.

Postby Harry Dalek » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:59 pm

Panrock wrote:What is this "rotary transformer"? Please tell me more.

Steve O

Hi Steve

Well the idea is really Whats used for VCR heads ...or this idea
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2075

as in the link in the first posting

Really just a transformer idea at high frequency but primary is stationary and secondary is rotating ...so thats useful keeping the electronics at the primary end and the modulating light on the secondary .

Wireless electricity - Inductive Power Transfer example

I was thinking each led in say Dr Z's mirror drum idea had its own coil but i suppose you could really hook all the leds up to one coil and just have a mask to view the leds perhaps as they sweep past the mask opening one at a time .
The frequency used for the transformers here is high enough bandwidth for NBTV .
I have tried it for just lighting an led ...about as far as i got with it ,also tried it on a vcr drum that worked as well as in powering up circuits on a rotary transformer ...no reason why you could not modulate that .
Last edited by Harry Dalek on Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:56 pm, edited 4 times in total.
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek

Postby DrZarkov » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:06 pm

That's an elegant idea! Indeed would one coil be enough, the LEDs are supposed to glow alltogether with only 4.5 V.
I would have done it in the more oldfashioned way, with an electric brush. But I like the idea to use induction.
DrZarkov
I think I've had a cranial implosion.

Postby Harry Dalek » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:46 pm

DrZarkov wrote:That's an elegant idea! Indeed would one coil be enough, the LEDs are supposed to glow alltogether with only 4.5 V.
I would have done it in the more oldfashioned way, with an electric brush. But I like the idea to use induction.

Yes DR Z it would be a good idea for your drum ..may be simple idea would be say a 555 at say 40 khz feed that to a power trany or mosfet that feeding a primary coil of a few turns ...modulation to pin 5 of the 555 the pickup coil just experiment with caps across the coil i found best results you need to tune it in ,i suppose its really just like a radio receiver.you might have to experiment with the pulse width ....its all really the same sort of idea as in singing tesla coils such on the modulation side.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2001

some experiments here i stopped on this one as i was getting vibration at speed which you would not just with leds...might just need a vcr drum for your modulation transfer .
Harry Dalek

Postby McGee2021 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:00 am

I've tried these stripes before, and most of them that have flashing modes also have a little chip that seems to me to make it useless whenever I apply a signal to it. Most of them also have embedded capacitors that are invissible to the eye, because they are underneath the white protective coating. Only 2 of about 50 different types I tried were usable with television signals applied, so be warned.
John Logie Baird was obviously the man who sowed the seeds but did not reap the harvest.
McGee2021
Just nod and pretend you understand me

Return to Mechanical NBTV