CD #1, Track #46 -- Graham

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

How to be a dimwit in one easy lesson!!

Postby Steve Anderson » Wed May 30, 2007 8:35 pm

Duh!!

I Thought they were on the NBTV web site, not on this board. I've found them now...

..what an iriot!

Thanks....
Steve Anderson
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

FRAMES

Postby M3DVQ » Wed May 30, 2007 11:59 pm

If you come to the forum through the link on the NBTVA website it loads in a frame, so the URL at the top reads nbtv.org I don't know why the NBTVA website is set up this way, because frames are generally considered bad practice for this very reason. :roll:
M3DVQ
Just nod and pretend you understand me

Postby Klaas Robers » Thu May 31, 2007 8:32 pm

This is done to disencourage people to use the real NBTV-sites address. It is uncertain that we can use that free hosting there. When we need to switch to somewhere else the NBTV.org is changed to forward to the new hosting and wyenet will no more work. People then have lost the connection to the side and have to search again.

But I could open the forum in a new target window of course.... if I didn't already.
Klaas Robers
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby M3DVQ » Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:49 am

I understand *why* frames are used, but I believe this is not the best solution to that problem, it should be possible for the nbtv.org address to point to the directory the site is hosted under and to show this in the url bar without frames. Maybe this is not an option available on Wynet, I don't know
M3DVQ
Just nod and pretend you understand me

Postby Klaas Robers » Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:36 pm

I don't either know. Grant Dixon initiated the NBTV site at Wyenet for free. The URL of NBTV.ORG is regsitered somewehere else and the functions are hosted again at a different provider. They just make a framed URL-forward. So we haven't asked Wyenet for it, Wyenet might even not be aware that there is a URL: NBTV.ORG.

The e-mail forwarding is also done at the last provider. This is running in a little corner of a somewhere server.

I did this in more cases. It decouples a URL name and the hosting company name. I have seen too many hosting companies beeing bought and getting a new or old other name.

Anyway, the Forum now is starting a new Exploder Window.......
Klaas Robers
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Previous

Return to Mechanical NBTV