Modern Flying Spot Scanning

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Modern Flying Spot Scanning

Postby McGee2021 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:30 pm

While at the early television gathering measurements last weekend, i had the idea of constructing a new 3d scanner, because the one i already had has failed. I was pondering up some ideas, and googled to see if anybody else had the same idea as me. And a lot of people did. The idea: Creating a digital part file with a projector to act as a flying spot of light, and a camera to pick up the light, and process the light into a digital part. A scanner of this type would be relatively simple to build, needing only a turntable, a camera, a projector, and a computer to control the projector and convert the picked up light from the camera into a part file. The simplest incarnation of this idea i could find is here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:52850 , but it seems that the website containing the building instructions is missing.
Fun times, ain't it?
McGee2021
Just nod and pretend you understand me

Re: Modern Flying Spot Scanning

Postby gary » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:49 pm

I maybe misinterpreting your post, but the process of 3D scanning is rather simple using the DAVID Laserscanner technique, when I experimented with this (gee nearly a decade ago) the only complicated part was producing a "line of light" - I did this with a wine bottle filled with water (an optical cylinder is all you need) and a high brightness LED and I obtained reasonable results, nowadays you can get a very cheap laser line levelling device that should produce MUCH better results. I have one especially for that purpose, alas life has intervened and has, as have many interesting experiments, been put on the back burner.
gary

Return to Mechanical NBTV