Recreation of mechanical television broadcasts

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Recreation of mechanical television broadcasts

Postby gbauer001 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:36 am

I wanted to make everybody aware that a new adventure will be starting soon.

I have created the website:

http://phonotoneclassic.com

On my website we will have an early television channel (there is also a radio channel for dance music from 1925-1945, which is live already). Together with some creative people who are helping with this complicated endeavor, we will recreate mechanical television broadcasts, as they were done from 1928-1935, in the different formats used at that time, and make these available for everybody interested to watch, worldwide. Although the mechanical TV images will be displayed in a video player on the website, the signal will also be made available in the NBTV standard for all broadcasts as downloads, so you can watch the recreated television shows on your NBTV TVs.

Test operation for the TV service will start early 2018, but if you check the website now, you can see a cool little demo video I put together. We are working on some really interesting shows currently that might be nice to watch on a mechanical TV.

I will keep you updated on more to come. In the meantime, enjoy the radio channel!

Gerhard Bauer, Sacramento, CA
gbauer001
"Fester, enough of the light-bulbs!"

Re: Recreation of mechanical television broadcasts

Postby McGee2021 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:52 pm

I read on your site that your using "the original mechanical “experimental” television standards". If you are, than you would not be using the NBTV standard, but rather the Baird standard. While the NBTV standard is best to use, due to its universality among members, i would also suggest using the Baird standard. If you would like to know more, or have any questions, just PM me, ill be happy to help. Of course, going back to it universality among members, there is always me, the only person to regularly use the Baird standard, but of course, i could probably dig out my NBTV standard televisor! Also, you say that you will be broadcasting the signal as well. How will you broadcasting this? If you are doing it online, it would be useless due to the compression, in order to make it easier to send over the internet.
Fun times, ain't it?
McGee2021
Just nod and pretend you understand me

Postby DrZarkov » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:51 am

I'm currently listening to your radio channel. If your TV-channel will become as good, you'll already have a new viewer. :)
DrZarkov
I think I've had a cranial implosion.

Postby Panrock » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:30 am

Seconded! I've just placed a recommendation on the UK Vintage Radio Forum.

Steve O
Panrock
Green padded cells are quite homely.

Postby Lowtone » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:41 am

Very nice initiative
r a d i o P T T v i s i o n
Lowtone
Just nod and pretend you understand me

Return to Mechanical NBTV