Baird 240-line system

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Re: Baird 240-line system

Postby OmegaProductions » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:55 am

Thanks for the post! I will still try on my mechanical TV experiment and I'm done!! :D :)
OmegaProductions
Misunderstood Genius

Postby gary » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:57 pm

Klaas Robers wrote:Things never get better automatically, most of the time they get worse.

If you are referring to my garden, Klaas, you are perfectly correct.
gary

Postby Lowtone » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:07 am

OmegaProductions wrote: Andrew Davie told me that MP3 files make up terrible quality picture and said to use uncompressed WAV format for playback. I

Hello,
Yes it's very important to understand. Those are audio formats. Mp3 is a lossy consumer end format, for distribution. It was invented in 1987 when internet was very slow and not developped, and hard disk drives had rather small space. So they came up the idea of chopping off bits of datas, according to a psychoacoutical model based on the sounds we don't really hear. ( In fact we do and i despise this model ).

Music production, in digital uses PCM format, wich is lossless. The PCM format can be embedded in AIFF or WAV ( mac / windows ).
For exemple WAV is only a container, so be sure it contains PCM and not something else. ( It's usually the case )

Understand that within NBTV we are using sound files for video purpose, and psychoacoustic model of mp3, along with the destructive compression, occasions a lot of dégradations to the picture, that we actually can see.

So for NBTV, go WAV/PCM, it's the only way.
( Also if you want good audio files chose this too, or FLAC wich is good too )

Last point. The compression of mp3 did not allow to recover what is lost. This is one of the reasons it is not used in production. So converting mp3 to WAV will never improve quality.

Sorry for the long explaination, or if you already kow this, but it is important to understand why is it like that.
:wink:
r a d i o P T T v i s i o n
Lowtone
Just nod and pretend you understand me

Postby OmegaProductions » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:32 am

Lowtone wrote:Sorry for the long explanation

Well, I don't really mind seeing long explanations at all. I like reading long posts. That's all! :wink:
OmegaProductions
Misunderstood Genius

Previous

Return to Mechanical NBTV