Fading of Activity

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Re: Fading of Activity

Postby Steve Anderson » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:09 pm

I did consider solar but the costs are way too high when it's only used as a back-up source. I was lucky in picking up a second-hand generator at a bargain price, 5kVA with only 73 hours of run-time. It needs a major service/overhaul at every 2000 hours. Oil & filter change every 100 hours.

It's remote controlled start/stop via wire and monitoring things like oil pressure, fuel level, RPM, temperature and so on can be done remotely - again via cable.

I'll be building a control/monitoring box to go in the kitchen which will add auto-start and changeover of supply after five seconds of power-loss and shutdown if the oil pressure drops or the temperature becomes excessive. Auto-stop when normal supply has resumed for five minutes.

As it's located about 45m away from the house one of the biggest costs is the power cable which has to carry just under 30A at full load with little volts drop - copper these days is at an all-time high in cost.

As per usual I've taken this well and truly off-topic, my apologies. I'll shut up now.

Steve A.
Steve Anderson
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Re: Fading of Activity

Postby Harry Dalek » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:20 pm

Steve Anderson wrote:I did consider solar but the costs are way too high when it's only used as a back-up source. I was lucky in picking up a second-hand generator at a bargain price, 5kVA with only 73 hours of run-time. It needs a major service/overhaul at every 2000 hours. Oil & filter change every 100 hours.

It's remote controlled start/stop via wire and monitoring things like oil pressure, fuel level, RPM, temperature and so on can be done remotely - again via cable.

I'll be building a control/monitoring box to go in the kitchen which will add auto-start and changeover of supply after five seconds of power-loss and shutdown if the oil pressure drops or the temperature becomes excessive. Auto-stop when normal supply has resumed for five minutes.

As it's located about 45m away from the house one of the biggest costs is the power cable which has to carry just under 30A at full load with little volts drop - copper these days is at an all-time high in cost.

As per usual I've taken this well and truly off-topic, my apologies. I'll shut up now.

Steve A.

No very much on topic Steve shows why you a busy on this and not hobby till you get your life stuff sorted .
I wasn't sure you had normal power most people here on solar use it fully during the day or charge batteries if your rich enough me neither :cry:
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Previous

Return to Mechanical NBTV