Baird Colour Televisor replica

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Baird Colour Televisor replica

Postby OmegaProductions » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:49 am

Hello guys in NBTV! :D

Today...I have something to tell you guys. Most of you just keep the standard Nipkow disc but with 3 colour LEDs, but on this original version...the Nipkow disc is different then the standard version. It might be interesting to make a replica of his prototype. Anyways, if you want to see the pictures, then go on this site:
http://www.earlytelevision.org/baird_me ... color.html

But anyways, this is what the colour Nipkow disc looks like...

Colour Nipkow disc.jpg

But anyways...that's all I had to say. See you later and goodbye!!!! :D :) :wink:
OmegaProductions
Misunderstood Genius

Re: Baird Colour Televisor replica

Postby McGee2021 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:29 pm

Something interesting to note is one of the latest methods of mechanical colour television, which was a form of colour wheel used experimentally in the 60's. It used the same concept as benhams top, and did not actually produce colour pictures on the screen of a television, but rather created an optical illusion tricking the mind to think that there was. I have made a 3D model for it, you can find it here:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2332260

You can find more information on it in the forum, here: http://www.taswegian.com/NBTV/forum/vie ... f=5&t=2343
Fun times, ain't it?
McGee2021
Just nod and pretend you understand me

Postby OmegaProductions » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:00 am

Oh yes! I heard of Butterfield colour system, I saw this in the Early Television Foundation site! And I don't know what this 3D model does... :?
OmegaProductions
Misunderstood Genius

Postby McGee2021 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:43 am

OmegaProductions wrote:And I don't know what this 3D model does... :?

The 3d model is just an .stl file to 3D print, ive made one on my ROBO 3D printer. On a computer it does nothing, but once its ran through a 3d printer and 'brought to life', than all you have to do cover the larger hole with black paper, and the other holes with the colour filters. After that, just hook it to a synchronous motor, running at the right speed so as to not disturb the framerate of the television. Ive made the model, but, unfortunately, have not had a chance to test it. There needs to be a 3d printed disc at the transmitter and the reciever, both running at the same speed. Basically, a glorified televisor! :lol:
Fun times, ain't it?
McGee2021

Postby McGee2021 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:20 pm

McGee2021 wrote:There needs to be a 3d printed disc at the transmitter and the reciever, both running at the same speed. Basically, a glorified televisor! :lol:

Scratch that, i went back and did some repeat-reading and remembered that there only needs to be a colour wheel at the transmitting end. nothing needed but a black and white set at the receiving end.
Fun times, ain't it?
McGee2021

Postby OmegaProductions » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:30 pm

Oh yeah I get it! :)
OmegaProductions
Misunderstood Genius

Postby OmegaProductions » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:56 am

Hello guys! :D

I have some news for this colour televisor and materials we could use for this...

First off...you could get these called colour transparent sheets, which is on Amazon. Like this picture:
516Lf11GY3L__SL1100_.jpg

After you brought it, you could stick red, green and blue of course! Here it is for example:
Colour Nipkow disc (with RGB filters).jpg.png
Colour Nipkow disc (with RGB filters).jpg.png (175.54 KiB) Viewed 12443 times

That's all I had to say! This is me Dylan signing out! Goodbye!! :D :) :wink:
OmegaProductions
Misunderstood Genius

Postby Robonz » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:40 pm

Beware that a lot of that coloured film is cheap cellophane and is very non pure in colour, I went down this path when I was playing with laser filters, the cellophane was pretty useless. If you want some good colour filters for cheap I suggest you look at gel filters used in stage lighting. The colours are accurate and the gel filters are cheap. Ask your local stage lighting supplier if you can get some from them. If you say its for a school project they might just give you a few pieces for free.

Good luck
Keith
Robonz
Evil Genius

Postby Harry Dalek » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:05 pm

Much easier to use a a bank of tri colour leds some thing they never had back then and no filters needed...all the mechanical part can be the same sync it to this type of 3 spiral nipkow ...same effect ...i sort of like B/w my self .
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby OmegaProductions » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:35 pm

Oh yeah...I noticed in some of the homemade colour mechanical TV, they have the RGB LEDs behind the disc to make up into a colour picture. I get it!! :D :)
OmegaProductions
Misunderstood Genius

Return to Mechanical NBTV