Mirror scanning television

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Mirror scanning television

Postby OmegaProductions » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:01 am

Hello guys in NBTV! :D

I have some news for you, and I might want to build this in the future! I'm planning to do mirror scanning television. What is mirror scanning television?
Well I saw this picture on Wikipedia and there was this old photo taken back in the 70s and an amateur did this mirror scanning system. Here's the picture below:
800px-Mechanical_Television_with_LED_Strips.jpg
800px-Mechanical_Television_with_LED_Strips.jpg (91.63 KiB) Viewed 15125 times

However, I may want to do this same project like this person did back in the day, except for some few changes. Anyways...that's all I had to say! This is me Dylan signing out and goodbye!! :D :) :wink:
OmegaProductions
Misunderstood Genius

Re: Mirror scanning television

Postby OmegaProductions » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:06 am

But here's something to say again...I have done a drawing construction of the mirror scanning TV system and how it works. I only just drawn this today! :D I also posted this on Google+ too. Just like always, it has 4 LEDs as a light source. (just like what the person did!) Here's the picture below:
IMG_1669.JPG

Anyways...I hope you enjoy this drawing I did today!! :D :) :wink:
OmegaProductions
Misunderstood Genius

Postby Harry Dalek » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:03 pm

Hi Dylan the first one is a drum pov type display i think i have seen a colour version of it 625 line on you tube clip off a german tv show ...would not like to have to build that one to much wiring for me .
Your idea of using mirrors and leds is different :wink: another good drawing there :idea:
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby OmegaProductions » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:35 pm

Huuummmm...I might watch that clip from a German show, but I'm not sure we're the clip is. but thanks Harry!! :D :) :wink:
OmegaProductions
Misunderstood Genius

Postby Andrew Davie » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:26 pm

Andrew Davie
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby Andrew Davie » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:47 pm

Probably this one!

youtu.be/Ss5HU4traHg
Andrew Davie
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby OmegaProductions » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:56 am

Yep...it's this clip.

WOW!! Now that's what I call complex equipment! :shock: That was very impressive!!!! :D

But I realise that this was not mirror scanning at all...it had sheets of glass, instead of mirrors! Well this is more complex then I thought. Thanks for the excellent clips Andrew! :D :) :wink:
OmegaProductions
Misunderstood Genius

Postby OmegaProductions » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:41 am

Hello guys in NBTV! :D

I had some updates...I have redrawn my drawing again on Paint. I had some few changes in this drawing I did today. It looks like the same as my original drawing from yesterday, except the 3 mirrors are now changed to 4 mirrors, and the LEDs are now at the bottom. On the circuit board, there are 60 LEDs (for 60 lines resolution). I also posted this to my Google+ page as well! So...I hope you enjoyed this drawing I did today! This is me Dylan signing out and goodbye!!!! :D :) :wink:

Mirror scanning TV drawing! (Re-drawn, 23rd-11-2017).png

However, this might be a choice of which drawing could be used for practical use in reality. Just tell me questions which drawing plan is better. No. 1 or 2? :|
If both do not work, then this project invention could be considered an epic fail! :(
OmegaProductions
Misunderstood Genius

Postby McGee2021 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:42 am

OmegaProductions wrote:However, this might be a choice of which drawing could be used for practical use in reality. Just tell me questions which drawing plan is better. No. 1 or 2? :|
If both do not work, then this project invention could be considered an [b]epic fail!
:(

The first drawing has a higher likelyhood of working, as its usually used in novelty fans and is called a "fire wheel". There are several articles about fire wheels in some of the 80's and 90's NBTV magazines. Im having a bit of trouble understanding the second one, but it will probably come to me. The way it looks set up must mean that the led's need to be extremely focused, almost becoming lasers, and the mirrors look like they should be facing the other way, parallel to the LEDs. On a side note, Andrew, would it be ok if i could post excerpts from the said NBTV magazines so Dylan can read some of them?

[Edit] I scanned through the old magazines, and it appears that the diagrams i was looking for were not there. So, i will upload some other diagrams describing the fire wheel. [Edit]
Last edited by McGee2021 on Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fun times, ain't it?
McGee2021
Just nod and pretend you understand me

Postby Andrew Davie » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:51 am

McGee2021 wrote:On a side note, Andrew, would it be ok if i could post excerpts from the said NBTV magazines so Dylan can read some of them?

Since we've recently been talking about copyright... I don't mind what goes on the forum in terms of file size - no issues there. If you're posting copyrighted material, please make sure that you are doing that legally and/or with permission of the owner.
Andrew Davie
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby McGee2021 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:04 am

I highly suggest using your methods, but another method of mirror scanning television is the mirror drum, used by early television pioneers, and could achieve a picture of up to 30 feet tall. I suspect that with modern lasers it could achieve an even larger picture. If you would like, i have an exact replica of a mirror drum used by Baird commercial receivers that i have been experimenting with that i can 3d print and send to you. i have the file courtesy of Vic Brown. I am not able to send you a file, but i can send you a pre-printed drum, made in black plastic, and you could help with club efforts experimenting with the drum. If you're interested, PM me and i can discuss it.
Fun times, ain't it?
McGee2021
Just nod and pretend you understand me

Postby OmegaProductions » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:39 pm

Thanks for the message! And I will read the NBTV magazine about the fire wheel television. But I may find it on the official NBTV site. :D :) :wink:
OmegaProductions
Misunderstood Genius

Postby OmegaProductions » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:58 am

McGee2021 wrote:If you would like, i have an exact replica of a mirror drum used by Baird commercial receivers that i have been experimenting with that i can 3d print and send to you. i have the file courtesy of Vic Brown. I am not able to send you a file, but i can send you a pre-printed drum, made in black plastic, and you could help with club efforts experimenting with the drum. If you're interested, PM me and i can discuss it.

Oh yeah...I might use the mirror drum as a beginner for me! At high school in the DT room, they have the 3D printer here, we were about to learn about it, but they didn't do much about it! :| I was fascinated in 3D printed models since I was 9 and I really want to try it out, but I don't have any luck. :( But that would be nice of you if you shown me your pre-printed mirror drum. :)

That was all! See you later and goodbye!! :D :) :wink:
OmegaProductions
Misunderstood Genius

Return to Mechanical NBTV