NBTV, inc.

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Re: NBTV, inc.

Postby Steve Anderson » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:29 pm

Well, here's your chance...go for it...no one else is doing it...I wonder why?

Steve A.
Steve Anderson
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Postby Klaas Robers » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:01 pm

Think of the MUTR televisor....... Many produced, many sold, few in use.

MUTR1.jpg
Klaas Robers
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby Harry Dalek » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:39 pm

DGMM-ASCII wrote:
Klaas Robers wrote:Think of the MUTR televisor....... Many produced, many sold, few in use.

MUTR1.jpg

What does that mean?

Klass is saying it comes down to no one is interested in Low-definition television these days apart from us crazy buggers but he put it more eloquently! 8)
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek

Postby Klaas Robers » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:34 am

Well, we do... or we did. At Saturday morning on 80 meters SSB. Vic Brown did so. The status may be less optimistic at this moment, but you can read about the experiments he did in the NBTV Newsletters of the last few years.

However, short wave has some problems in propagation of NBTV signals. Yes, they bridge large distances, sometimes around the globe, but the "reflections" in the ionosphere at a height of 250 km are no "hard, sharp" mirror like reflections. Different waves transmitted at the same moment, reflect at different points in the ionosphere and arrive at the receiver at different moments in time. This gives "ghost images" in the received picture. This occurs in speech as well. but our ears are much less sensitive to those "reflections", as they occur as well in the form of fast echos and reverberation in rooms with solid walls. So we are used to it. But in pictures built up from lines on a screen this is deadly. The result is that now and then you see something recognizable. Enjoying a program over a longer time span is something completely different.
Klaas Robers
"Gomez!", "Oh Morticia."

Postby Harry Dalek » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:30 pm

DGMM-ASCII wrote:Well, MAYBE it's because we don't broadcast any NBTV Programming! :!:

First you need some one with a Ham radio licence that is willing to do this and pretty much we need to know when this is going to happen and yes need some thing to broadcast if nothing more than at least a test card .
You also have the problem where you are time of day if you can receive it.
There are now on the internet ham radio operators broadcasting the ham bands from different parts of the world on the internet which makes where you are less of a problem !
For me i am more interested in the construction of the device side of the hobby ,but i see it would be nice to receive a broadcast ,you can live steam video on you tube if you want to experiment ...i think there is a video on you tube i will put it below .

youtu.be/7klqrR3TAoQ

youtu.be/1ShYefsbnAE
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek

Return to Mechanical NBTV