Nipkow disc drilling machine

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Nipkow disc drilling machine

Postby smeezekitty » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:23 pm

I was struggling with the fact that I didn't have a suitable printer to make templates for drilling record Nipkow discs. Even when I got them printed somewhere, paper templates are a pain to get right.

So I was inspired to make a device that can be used in conjunction with a drill press to almost automatically drill the disc. It uses two stepper motors, one to rotate the disc and one to move it back and forth.

It is all controlled by an Arduino. You need to do is enter the parameters and then it will go to the hole positions one by one and I just press the drill every time it stops.
There are still some quirks I need to work out -- a little bit of binding and some backlash on the rotational stepper which are making the accuracy somewhat less than it should be.

But regardless, I used to successfully drill a new disc. I'm going try to mount it in my monitor to see how it looks.
0711190003.jpg

0711190004.jpg

20190711_101840.jpg

0711190051a.jpg

20190712_011640.jpg

20190712_004321.jpg

20190712_004324.jpg
smeezekitty
Just nod and pretend you understand me

Re: Nipkow disc drilling machine

Postby Harry Dalek » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:47 pm

I can see some excellent inventing when i looked into this idea many moons ago it was pointed out by Gary the thread on the screw for the stepper had to be very fine finer more accurate ...any case mine never got very far or really i couldn't get it to be as accurate as wanted made it to big ...

On the drilling of records cds if you use a pin you can drill with friction works well .. when i did it by hand i just heated the pin and pushed it in and made the holes ...home made Nipkows i tended to make a few in a run and used the best .
The electromagnetic spectrum has no theoretical limit at either end. If all the mass/energy in the Universe is considered a 'limit', then that would be the only real theoretical limit to the maximum frequency attainable.
Harry Dalek
"Fester! Don't do that to 'Thing'"

Re: Nipkow disc drilling machine

Postby smeezekitty » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:12 am

Harry Dalek wrote:I can see some excellent inventing when i looked into this idea many moons ago it was pointed out by Gary the thread on the screw for the stepper had to be very fine finer more accurate ...any case mine never got very far or really i couldn't get it to be as accurate as wanted made it to big ...

It doesn't really need to be absurdly fine IMO. The screw I am using has 20 threads/inch = 1.27mm per revolution.
The stepper is geared 2:1 and has 48 steps/revolution. That gives me 1.27mm/96 steps = 0.0132mm precision.

On the drilling of records cds if you use a pin you can drill with friction works well .. when i did it by hand i just heated the pin and pushed it in and made the holes ...

The problem I have found with hot pins is hole size and shape consistency.

home made Nipkows i tended to make a few in a run and used the best .

I can attest to this
smeezekitty
Just nod and pretend you understand me

Return to Mechanical NBTV