The Edikow and its construction.

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Postby DrZarkov » Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:29 am

If you take a gas like Buthan or Propane instead of air, you can even make a fully mechanical televisor, the surpassing gas controlled by the groove feeding a flame replacing the LEDs. In fact, this has be done, the so called "Flammophon". (for sound, not for TV.) The idea behind it was that a flame expands the surrounding air. So you could modulate the air directly by a flame instead of a membrane. It worked, but was no success. I don't know if any Flammophones survived or burned down with their owners...
DrZarkov
I think I've had a cranial implosion.

Postby Stephen » Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:16 am

DrZarkov wrote:If you take a gas like Buthan or Propane instead of air, you can even make a fully mechanical televisor, the surpassing gas controlled by the groove feeding a flame replacing the LEDs. In fact, this has be done, the so called "Flammophon". (for sound, not for TV.) The idea behind it was that a flame expands the surrounding air. So you could modulate the air directly by a flame instead of a membrane. It worked, but was no success. I don't know if any Flammophones survived or burned down with their owners...
That sounds like an intriguing approach for a fully mechanical reproducer/televisor! There would be no moving armature, so no resonances to adversely impact frequency response linearity up to the resolution limit of the gas jet. One could even share the gas supply with a Stirling engine to drive the machine for totally non-electric operation.
Stephen
Stephen
Anyone have a spare straightjacket?

Postby DrZarkov » Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:38 pm

BTW: What had happened to the complete mechanical TV projects? Any news?
DrZarkov
I think I've had a cranial implosion.

Non-electric Television.

Postby Stephen » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:24 pm

DrZarkov wrote:BTW: What had happened to the complete mechanical TV projects? Any news?
I have been waiting for a further report from Roland, who is actively constructing a non-electric system. It has been a while since his last report.
Stephen
Stephen

Postby Stephen » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:43 pm

DrZarkov wrote:The idea behind it was that a flame expands the surrounding air. So you could modulate the air directly by a flame instead of a membrane. It worked, but was no success. I don't know if any Flammophones survived or burned down with their owners...
Using a Flammophon-type NBTV phonograph, you could record and play the fire brigade after they arrive at your house. I am sure that they would enjoy seeing a replay of themselves at work!
Stephen
Stephen

Ediphone dictating wax cylinders for NBTV?

Postby Viewmaster » Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:06 am

From time to time on eBay I have noticed Dictating Ediphone wax cylinders for sale in the USA.
Brand new in boxes of 12 and going very much cheaper than blank phonograph wax cylinders because they will not fit the phonograph being longer at just over 6 inches and slightly bigger in diameter too.
They work out at about £3 odd each delivered to UK.

These may well be suitable for an Edikow machine, giving both increased playing time and/or a faster groove speed for the NBTV recording.
On dictaphones they are also shaved and used again and again....
....now all we need is an Edikow shaver! :)
Albert.
Viewmaster
Frankenstein was my uncle.

Re: Ediphone dictating wax cylinders for NBTV?

Postby Stephen » Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:17 am

Viewmaster wrote:From time to time on eBay I have noticed Dictating Ediphone wax cylinders for sale in the USA.
Brand new in boxes of 12 and going very much cheaper than blank phonograph wax cylinders because they will not fit the phonograph being longer at just over 6 inches and slightly bigger in diameter too.
This sounds like a very reasonable option, Albert, particularly since you can re-use the cylinders. I suppose that you could even have a sleeve as an adapter for the phonograph mandrel to accomodate the larger cylinders so that you could record or play either type.
Stephen
Stephen

Postby Viewmaster » Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:43 am

Stephen wrote:
Viewmaster wrote:From time to time on eBay I have noticed Dictating Ediphone wax cylinders for sale in the USA.
This sounds like a very reasonable option, Albert, particularly since you can re-use the cylinders. I suppose that you could even have a sleeve as an adapter for the phonograph mandrel to accomodate the larger cylinders so that you could record or play either type.

Yes, one wouldn't wish to miss out on recording/playing standard phono cylinders. The shaving could be carried out on a lathe although Edison made 3 machines...
A recording dictaphone for the boss to use. Another for his secretary to listen to and the third one, the shaver for the office boy to recut old cylinders for re use..

Albert.
Attachments
ediphone_1.jpg
3 machines for NBTV !
ediphone_1.jpg (42.88 KiB) Viewed 10951 times
Viewmaster

Postby Viewmaster » Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:46 am

duplicate in error
Attachments
ediphone_1.jpg
3 machines for NBTV !
ediphone_1.jpg (42.88 KiB) Viewed 10950 times
Last edited by Viewmaster on Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Viewmaster

Ediphone equipment.

Postby Stephen » Sun Jul 29, 2007 4:56 am

I wish I had such a collection of Ediphone equipment! All three machines appear to be in beautiful condition.

My Edison Home 2 minute machine has built-in shaving knife for erasing cylinders. I think that ordinary Dictaphones did too.
Stephen
Stephen

Pneumatic Reproducer.

Postby Stephen » Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:26 am

Here is a sketch of the sort of pneumatic reproducer that I suggested. It is very similar to some of the embodiments in the Bell-Tainter patent, but interestingly this is one embodiment that they did not show. The varying back pressure on the nozzle adjacent to the hill-and-dale groove causes the changes the flow through the nozzle adjacent to the mirrored flapper. This causes the mirrored flapper to undulate up and down, therefore changing the amount of light that passes through the aperture from the light source to the photoelectric detector. The mirrored flapper may comprise something as simple as a flap of aluminium foil clamped on one end as shown.

The moving mass would be extremely small, so the frequency response would extend from DC to a frequency only limited by the resolution limit of the nozzles.
Attachments
Pneumatic Reproducer.jpg
Pneumatic Reproducer
Pneumatic Reproducer.jpg (22.52 KiB) Viewed 10942 times
Stephen
Stephen

Previous

Return to Mechanical NBTV