Hi, MUTR Kit Owner

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Hi, MUTR Kit Owner

Postby PatchY » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:45 am

Hi, new member here I only have the MUTR kit featured on site with replaced LED, diffuser and the sticker but anyway....

I'm looking for suggestions on period video to convert using Video2NBTV which has an aspect ratio that will look right.

There is such a thrill using a reproduction image of the BBC Eye found on-line and have it running through the little MUTR set :D

This is really the most I've done with it static images, other than the fantastic I have a dream video from Martin Luther King featured on the kit's supplied CD.

Cheers

PatchY
PatchY
Laboratory Assistant

Postby DrZarkov » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:15 pm

In the internet you will find almost nothing which has original that aspect ratio, maybe the only thing is the remake of "the man with the flower in his mouth". But very good suitable is everything which portraits or few details. I found a clip with the french singer and actor "Fernandel", singing "le tango corse". It is looking very good. Another example, but not of that period was a clip with Frankie Lane singing "Jezebel". On www.archive.org you'll find some cartoons like Fritz the Cat or Betty Boop, which are very good for NBTV. And I've converted the first episode of Dr. Who (an unearthly child) which worked very good. There are many portrait shots and very few images with a lot of details.
DrZarkov
I think I've had a cranial implosion.

Postby PatchY » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:18 am

RE: Cartoons, how are the aspect ratios?

Cheers for all the suggestions, ive now see a video on youtube of electronic 32 line on a Oscilloscope Cathode with Norman Wisdom singing from Sunday Night at the London Paladium, I have that on VHS so it might be perfect.

Thanks for Doctor Who suggestion...
PatchY
Laboratory Assistant

Postby DrZarkov » Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:19 pm

Of course everything made on film was 4:3, that's why the American and German TV systems always used a 4:3 or, as a compromise, a more or less square aspect ratio. The disadvantage was that 30 lines is really not enough for a normal movie. With the NBTV2Video software there is the very big advantage, that you can move the viewable screen with the mouse and that you can zoom in with the scroll wheel. You can always move the NBTV-screen to the important parts of the film. It works very good, exspecially with old black and white productions.
DrZarkov
I think I've had a cranial implosion.

Postby PatchY » Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:07 pm

DrZarkov wrote:Of course everything made on film was 4:3, that's why the American and German TV systems always used a 4:3 or, as a compromise, a more or less square aspect ratio. The disadvantage was that 30 lines is really not enough for a normal movie. With the NBTV2Video software there is the very big advantage, that you can move the viewable screen with the mouse and that you can zoom in with the scroll wheel. You can always move the NBTV-screen to the important parts of the film. It works very good, exspecially with old black and white productions.

I dont really have this feature.

How do I go about using it?

Im using Video2NBTV.
PatchY
Laboratory Assistant

Postby Viewmaster » Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:33 pm

PatchY wrote:
DrZarkov wrote:Of course everything made on film was 4:3, that's why the American and German TV systems always used a 4:3 or, as a compromise, a more or less square aspect ratio. The disadvantage was that 30 lines is really not enough for a normal movie. With the NBTV2Video software there is the very big advantage, that you can move the viewable screen with the mouse and that you can zoom in with the scroll wheel. You can always move the NBTV-screen to the important parts of the film. It works very good, exspecially with old black and white productions.

I dont really have this feature.

How do I go about using it?

Im using Video2NBTV.

Scroll 3/4 way down this thread to see Gary's instructions on how to use it.
http://www.taswegian.com/NBTV/forum/vie ... c&start=15

Also download the latest version from his website.
It's a wonderful tool for NBTV.
Albert.
Viewmaster
Frankenstein was my uncle.

Postby PatchY » Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:16 am

Where you are meant to see the actual video, all I see is a blue screen, the NBTV output picture is fine.
PatchY
Laboratory Assistant

Postby gary » Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:57 am

PatchY wrote:Where you are meant to see the actual video, all I see is a blue screen, the NBTV output picture is fine.

You may need to change your display settings. Paradoxically, if you have hardware acceleration turned on, you may have video display problems. Try turning hardware acceleration off. If you don't know how to do this let me know which OS you are using and I may be able to assist.
gary

Postby PatchY » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:46 am

gary wrote:
PatchY wrote:Where you are meant to see the actual video, all I see is a blue screen, the NBTV output picture is fine.

You may need to change your display settings. Paradoxically, if you have hardware acceleration turned on, you may have video display problems. Try turning hardware acceleration off. If you don't know how to do this let me know which OS you are using and I may be able to assist.

Working a treat!

Is there anyway to do this without turning off hardware acceleration?

Neither Zoom nor Pan works for me now.

Edit - Wait just seen the url for the prototype... fantastic!
PatchY
Laboratory Assistant

Postby gary » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:32 am

PatchY wrote:
Working a treat!

Is there anyway to do this without turning off hardware acceleration?

Neither Zoom nor Pan works for me now.

Edit - Wait just seen the url for the prototype... fantastic!

The latest version (URL mentioned above) may work with hardware acceleration turned on. The previous version used DirectShow to display the video (the standard windows video interface). I know of no way to make it work with hardware acceleration on, it seems to be an incompatibility between the DirectShow (aka DirectX, ActiveX) and the video drivers for your particular monitor. The best I could do, I think, is to have the software turn off acceleration whilst converting, and restoring the original state when finished.

In order to get the graphics working for pan and crop I have had to change the video output mechanism from DirectX to straight GDI. This is less efficient than using DirectX but todays generation of computers are so fast it doesn't seem to be much of a problem. A by-product of doing this should be to workaround the hardware acceleration problem.

BTW I have yet to see a machine that exhibits any performance improvement from having hardware acceleration turned on (athough I am sure that systems designed for game play do), on the other hand I have seen many that exhibit general graphic glitches when it is turned on.

Anyway it seems that you can at least use the application now. Cheers.
gary

Postby PatchY » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:22 am

It does indeed work with full hardware acceleration, that pleases me.

The release on your website will not, that was what was giving me problems.
PatchY
Laboratory Assistant

Return to Mechanical NBTV