Perfect Diffuser

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Perfect Diffuser

Postby M3DVQ » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:39 am

after trying lots of different diffuser materials, and positions I came to the conclusion that the best picture is obtained if the diffuser is as close to the disc as possible. also the thinner the diffuser the better, as less light seems to be lost. the problem is mounting the diffuser extremely close to the disc without it fouling (my disc is made of black card, and has got rather battered and wobbles a lot at low speed as it spins up until the centripetal force straightens it all out)
my sudden flash of inspiration, lightbulb style :idea: came when I looked at the scotch tape my mum passed me to stick some card or something on.
it's translucent, and a very good diffuser material! I realised that there's no reason that the difuser has to be fixed to the frame, and stuck small windows over the holes on the back side of the disk! the diffuser is now in the closest proximity possible to the disc, and there's nothing to line up!

My televisor is now fairly complete (I took it to a Meccano guild meeting today, as a couple of members had been interested when I'd told them about it) so I shall be posting some photos, and a descriptive page on my website in the near future.
I was going to keep a construction blog or something and post pictures here as I built it, but I never got round to it :oops:
M3DVQ
Just nod and pretend you understand me

Postby DrZarkov » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:21 am

It's worth a try! this week I have absolutely no time, I'm going to buy a house, my car has a problem, and on friday I'm for the weekend in Stuttgart (which is BTW from here farer away than London), so if I'm lucky next week. I have a "spare monitor" with an aluminium disc, ideal for such a test.
DrZarkov
I think I've had a cranial implosion.

Postby M3DVQ » Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:18 am

I don't know how well scotch tape will adhere to a metal disc (it might work I dunno) but a similar very thin diffuser material could be glued on with a multi purpose adhesive
M3DVQ

Postby Viewmaster » Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:14 am

I would be careful about tape as it does seem to go yellow and crinkle with age as it looses its adhesiveness. If it lifts slightly on a spinning Nipkow it might not stay put long term anyway.
Maybe some very fine sandpapered 35mm transparency is better?
Albert.
Viewmaster
Frankenstein was my uncle.

Postby Dave Moll » Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:45 am

Viewmaster wrote:I would be careful about tape as it does seem to go yellow and crinkle with age as it looses its adhesiveness.

Sellotape is worse for this than Scotch Tape. Probably the so-called "invisible" tape (from Scotch - i.e. 3M) is best.
Dave Moll
Anyone have a spare straightjacket?

Postby M3DVQ » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:29 am

Dave Moll wrote:
Viewmaster wrote:I would be careful about tape as it does seem to go yellow and crinkle with age as it looses its adhesiveness.

Sellotape is worse for this than Scotch Tape. Probably the so-called "invisible" tape (from Scotch - i.e. 3M) is best.

indeed, the scotch tape crinkles and yellows far less than sellotape
also, if the small diffuser squares fall off after a few months, you can always stick new ones on :-) each square is a fraction of a pence worth of tape :-)
M3DVQ

Return to Mechanical NBTV