Some Photos of my Televisor!

Forum for discussion of narrow-bandwidth mechanical television

Moderators: Dave Moll, Andrew Davie, Steve Anderson

Some Photos of my Televisor!

Postby M3DVQ » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:39 am

I've finally got round to taking some photos of my televisor, you can see them here http://alistairsserver.no-ip.org/public/NBTV/televisor/televisor.html
there are also some videos of the display, I've converted them to MPEG compressed files, but they're still fairly large and may take a minute or three to download.
of special interest are photo 9, showing the back of the nipkow disk, with the scotch tape diffuser, and photo 12 shows the mechanism for rotating the optical sync apparatus around the slotted sync wheel, to adjust the frame position.

10 points to the person who can identify all the onscreen pictures and video clips :)
M3DVQ
Just nod and pretend you understand me

Postby Viewmaster » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:48 am

Nice idea to use Meccano as the framework. I've never seen this used for NBTV before and it makes a colourful construction. Well done.
This must be the first ever Meccano TV.

Never seen a health and safety warning notice either on a NBTV. :)

I reckon scotch tape goes with scots Baird nicely too! (Is scotch tape scottish I wonder?)
Albert.
Viewmaster
Frankenstein was my uncle.

Postby M3DVQ » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:01 am

I used meccano as it's what I had to hand. I also punched the disc using a jig made of meccano, it's just so easy to throw a framework together.
The H&S warning (and also DO NOT ADJUST on the knobs which you probably can't see) is because I demonstrated the machine at a recent North Midlands Meccano Guild meeting. There was an enormous interest, and a couple of people said their older brother, or cousin had built a set and they remembered watching the Baird trial transmissions!

I do believe it is the first "meccano TV" :-) no-one at the guild had seen one before certainly!
M3DVQ

Postby DrZarkov » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:31 pm

Nice done! Mechano seems to be perfect for experiments!

Only one thing: maybe you should make the apertures a little bit wider, it seems that there is a big distance between the lines.
DrZarkov
I think I've had a cranial implosion.

Postby M3DVQ » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:54 pm

I did widen them out a bit already. the photos make it look very crisp as I played around with the focus a lot to get it right. when you're actually watching it the striping is less pronounced
the holes were punched in a simple press using a dressmaking pin, and tweaked with a needle
M3DVQ

Return to Mechanical NBTV